Twenty-nine

~~~~~~~~~~

Damon slowly walks towards us. 

Surprisingly enough, this morning when the phone call came through, it was Damon's idea for the little meet-up. And in the crisp morning air, the idea still seems far from reality. Damon negotiating for peace isn't something I could have seen him doing with Klaus Mikaelson. I thought his hatred for his hand in Elena's death was too far embedded in his dead heart to even attempt something as simple as peace. 

Though even as he marches towards us, it doesn't seem to be with ease that he chose this path. Damon stares crossly at the vampire next to me. His motives might have been in the right place, but his trust doesn't go with it. That much is clear. I can see it in Elijah too, the way he warily stands next to me, as if I'm the enemy, and the way his eyes scan Damon all too carefully. His trust has diminished since he has last met the dagger. 

Understandably, it was a shot in the dark pulling the dagger from his chest when we let the coffins go. Not that I knew Damon did it, but I am ever grateful for it. If it is anyone who can save Klaus from a dark path, it's Elijah. I've seen him try to do it his whole life. I need him to try again now. 

The Original stands as noble as ever. Even after spending months in a coffin, he hasn't spared a suit this morning. As usual, he maintains his defensive persona, barely breaking a smile in the short conversations we've had. He is still uneasy, not exactly clear on anything right now. Of course, that is to be understood. We daggered him and released him, only for him to return to the dagger by his brother's own hand.

I would be just as wary of everyone too.

Damon shoves his phone into his pocket, staring at us as if he is overthinking the decision he made last night, "Elijah. My favorite Orginal, back from the dead. You clean up nice."

Elijah doesn't show any recognition of Damon's comments. He digs his hand into his suit jacket, pulling out a letter neatly folded in his pocket. He holds it up for Damon to see, "You left something in my jacket pocket."

"Oh, yeah," Damon muses without care. "Dear Elijah, let's get together, plot the destruction of your brother. Xo, xo."

"Damon," Elijah finishes dryly.

The younger vampire glances at me.

It had been a part of our phone call this morning, whether or not he made the right choice in the darkness of the basement before I arrived. It was a shocking discovery this morning when I woke to find Elijah risen from the dead. It was like I had to talk Damon into his own plan as if he regretted yanking that piece of metal from the Original's chest. He doesn't trust Elijah, and Elijah doesn't trust him. And yet Damon is still ready to bank everything on Elijah for his plan for peace. 

I nod softly, reaffirming everything we talked about this morning. I trust Elijah, and I am sure that could never change. He was the first one willing to help us all those months ago when Klaus was the real enemy, when he was trying to kill Elena. He helped us get what we wanted despite the bonds of his family. I am willing to believe that Elijah will help us again now, not to kill Klaus, but to tame him, to settle his absurd disposition to killing anyone who insults his mere existence. 

Though to Klaus, his own existence is anything but mere. 

Damon's eyes roam back to the Orginal, "Was I right to undagger you, or are we going to have a problem?"

Elijah subtly shrugs, "I'm here. Let's talk."

"Well, I'll start with an easy question," Damon offers snidely, "Any idea what kind of Klaus-killing weapon could be magically sealed in a mystery coffin?"