chapter five.

Kaia let out a breath of relief when he reached the end of the race. He clutched his chest as his heart raced from the excitement he felt. This was the feeling he'd lost. The feeling he never thought he'd find again. He'd almost forgotten why he'd given this up. Until he felt those eyes watching him. 

They stood behind him and whispered into his ear, "Did I really mean nothing to you." 

He frantically turned behind him but only Joe stood behind him. Kaia forced a smile and Joe pulled him into a headlock while ruffling his head. "I knew you had it in you!" Kaia tapped his arm in defeat from his overwhelming strength. He only let out a laugh in response and continued ruffling his hair. 

"Let him go you gorilla," Kaoru came over and glanced over to Kaia for a moment before turning away. Joe finally let him go from his headlock and he started gasping for air. He looked at Kaoru for his reaction who appeared as if he could care less. Kaia stared blankly and Kaoru stared right back at him. "That was pretty good for your first time. Good job." 

He noticed the puppy ears and tail that appeared from his praise. Kaia had a small smile and nodded in appreciation to his compliment. 

Another pair of eyes carefully watched the screens with Kaia being featured in every one. Some replayed his skating while others showed him currently. Adam ran his fingers along his board and licked his lips in satisfaction. "Another has peaked my interest," he glanced over the many screens and a familiar pink caught his eye. "And he's connected to Cherry Blossom? This is just getting more and more thrilling!" 

**

Once him and Kaoru arrived home Kaia rushed upstairs. "I'm going to take shower," he blurted before running into his room and into the shower. He leaned onto the wall and let the water fall down his face. All of the memories started to resurface as his past came back to haunt him.

'Just cause you move doesn't mean I won't always be here,' the voice said. 'You can't just forget what you did.'

"I'm not trying to forget."

'Are you sure?'

He formed a fist on the shower wall, "Shut up." The voice ceased for a moment and he looked up at his fist on the wall. He stared at the yin and yang tattoo on his hand.

'Balance is everything,' it whispered again.

Kaia punched the wall in frustration before a knock was heard at the door. The sudden sound pulled him out of his own mind. He quickly cleaned himself and got out the shower.

"Are you alright Kaia?" Kaoru asked from behind the door. "I heard something from downstairs."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Give me a minute," he called out and hurriedly pulled on his clothes. Kaia opened the door with a small smile and Kaoru gave a face of concern. 

"What was that sound earlier?"

"I just dropped something while in the shower. Sorry for scaring you," he waved his hand in dismissal and starting drying his hair with a small towel. Kaoru wasn't convinced but he brushed it off. 

"You are going to explain every detail of how you did that today," he started heading out the room and gestured for Kaia to follow. "I made you dinner, so you owe me that much."

Kaia stifled a laugh but nodded in agreement before following him. "You're not avoiding me anymore?" 

He stopped midway down the stairs as his face flushed in embarrassment. He refused to look behind him so Kaia couldn't see his expression. "Are you going to actually wear clothes around the house?"

"Of course."

"Then enough said."