chapter fifteen.

They all waited in the lobby for the doctors to tell them the severity of Kaoru's injury. Shadow leaned against the wall and Joe sat in a chair while waiting. Each of them watched Kaia pace around the lobby relentlessly. 

The air was tense and Shadow decided to break the silence. "I need to return the car before it gets to early in the morning. I'll be back later today to check in."

Kaia didn't seem to hear him but Joe gestured for him to go on. "I'll handle it," he whispered to Shadow who complied and left.  

He tried to see if Kaia had any intention of nearing the end of his pacing but it didn't seem likely. Joe stepped in front of him causing Kaia to bump into his chest. Kaia stood there as if waiting until he'd move from his path. He kept his head down and refused eye contact. 

"Kid, come on."

"Oh, I'm kid now?" His voice was bitter. "Just move out the way."

"No."

"Move."

"I said no--" Kaia swung his fist at him and Joe caught his wrist. 

"Just move already! I'm never going to be someone's replacement!"

"Kaia listen--"

"Kojiro, did you want to help me find what I lost? Or what you lost?" Kaia went to swing his other arm through the air to hit Joe anywhere he could get to. Joe caught his wrist again and Kaia struggled against him. "At least tell me you kept my feelings in mind at all!"

Joe released Kaia's hand and made him fall forward. He wrapped his arms around him and pulled him into his chest. He held the back of his head and slid down on one of the nearest walls. At first Kaia was hitting him continuously out of frustration before he broke into a soft cry. 

The older male just rested his head back as he listened to the younger cry into him. "I let you into my kitchen. I don't give that pass to just anyone."

He could her a laugh between sobs and felt a light hit on his chest. For the rest of the time the two of them sat there until they were allowed to enter Kaoru's room. 

**

The sun peeked through the curtains and hit Kaoru's face. The warmth made him awaken and he tried to grasp where he was. His mind was going a mile a minute as he jerked up hastily and whipped his head around the room. When he recognized the tools beside his bed and the bandages around his head, he knew he was in the hospital.

When he went to stretch his leg it bumped into something which startled him for a moment. Laying on the edge of the bed with his head in his arms was Kaia. He was sitting a chair and snoring quietly. Kaoru unintentionally began to stare and a ghost of a smile appeared on his face.

After a while, the sound of a soft knock brought him back to reality. Joe leaned on the door frame with his knuckle on the door. He was smirking at him with a raised brow.

"Want some pudding, loverboy?" He emphasized the new nickname and Kaoru was about to retort back when he felt shuffling at the edge of the bed. Kaia started to rise and swiped away the drool from his face with his knuckles. That's when Kaoru eyed the bandages around his hands.

"Kaoru, you're awake?" His thoughts were clouded until everything that occurred came back to him. "You're awake!" He repeated in realization. He then rushed over and embraced Kaoru while resting his head on his shoulder. "I'm so glad you're alright," he voiced relieved and hugged him slightly tighter.

Kaoru was surprised by the sudden embrace but he wasn't against it. He averted his gaze elsewhere with a dust of pink on his cheeks. "Yeah, I'm alright."