chapter twelve.

"You said you would be back before the rain." Kaoru gave a disapproving look to Kaia who had began to walk up the stairs but paused.

"I know, but can you scold me after I get cleaned up?" Kaia looked over his shoulder to him with tired eyes and soaked clothes. 

Kaoru let out a breath to calm himself and nodded his head in agreement. Kaia continued upstairs and headed towards his room for a bath. When the tub finally filled to where he wanted Kaia got in and let himself slouch down. The warmth had eased the aching of his body and felt like heaven compared to the bitter cold rain outside. 

"He really is mad because I didn't come home. But he came when I called huh?" Kaia brushed his fingers over his lips when he remembered when he whispered his name. His cheeks started to heat up at the thought and he sunk himself back under. 

When he finished he wrapped a towel around his waist before walking out to find a change of clothes. While he got dressed the sound of footsteps coming upstairs could be heard nearing his door. Kaoru knocked at the door and asked to enter. 

"You can come in," Kaia said nonchalantly after quickly putting on some pants. He came into the room as the click of the door signalled his entrance. When he came in Kaia began wrapping bandages around his fingers and still didn't look up. The room was silent still and Kaoru just stood motionless with his hand still on the handle. "Kaoru?" he questioned when he glanced towards him in curiosity. 

Kaoru knew full well that Kaia had a rather muscular build. He never had the time at S to look at him closely but he was quite pleasing to the eye. Various tattoos covered his back and a large chinese character sat between his shoulder blades. As he stepped closer he admired each detailed ink that probably held a significant meaning. The muffled sound of someone calling him lingered in the back of his mind before he was brought out of his thoughts.

"You're looking at my arms and back." Kaia suddenly voiced aloud.

"Well I-"

"I knew you'd notice after a while," he said with tired voice and a weak grin.

This caught Kaoru off guard  when he noticed the light purple tint on his skin as he stepped even closer. He ran his hand along his arms and Kaia winced his hand ran over some spots. He then went to hold his hands that were half bandaged with small faint cuts on his fingers. When he ran his thumb over Kaia's palm they were rough and calloused. "You've been practicing far more often than I thought. I hope you know you can't do the tournament in this condition. When was the last time you got some-"

He nodded off into Kaoru's chest as he'd unintentionally soothed him to sleep. He hadn't been surprised since he was about to fall asleep on his way home. "-rest," He finished slowly. 

**

Kaia slept for the most of the next day until he awoke in the mid afternoon. He rubbed his eyes lazily and went downstairs expecting to see Kaoru. Unexpectedly, it was completely empty and silent until a robotic voice startled him. 

"Master stepped out for some business. He will return in a few hours."

"Where did he go. An appointment?"

"I can not answer that."

"In that case, I'll just ask someone else who knows."

**

The raven haired male came into the restaurant and sat at the bar counter in front of the kitchen. He waited patiently until Joe spotted him and came over with a plate of spaghetti in hand. He gave a knowing grin and set the plate in front of Kaia. 

"I know what you're here for and no I'm not going to tell you."

"You too?" Kaia questioned aloud before eating the pasta given to him. 

"I heard someone is on a skate ban due to injury~" Joe teased and rested his head on his hand. Kaia buried his face in his hands in embarrassment before peeking his eye through his fingers. 

"Are you going to laugh if I tell you?"

"Only if it's funny."

Kaia punched him in the arm and laughed lightly before reminiscing back on yesterday. "I just didn't want to make any mistakes that could place any of you in harm's way. But I was also chasing that feeling I had during my beef with Adam. It was as if I was being drawn into the unknown." Kaia went into a daze while remembering the colorful tunnel surrounding him as he neared Adam. He looked over to see Joe was listening intently. "But that probably doesn't make sense."

Joe noticed the interest Kaia had for whatever Adam had tried to pull him into before they were interrupted. He feared what may have happened to him if the race had continued. He's seen Adam do this before and it always ended with a skater having serious injuries. The way Kaia was now, there was no chance he could go up against Adam. 

"I'd say forget it for now and take a break. You can't afford participating in this tournament."

For the first time since he'd known him Joe didn't have his usual playful smile. His eyes peered down at him desperately as if begging him not to go against his words. Joe knew the Adam from the past but now he was extremely unpredictable. The old him had boundaries and certain lines that were never supposed to be crossed. But all those lines meant nothing to who he is now. 

"You're right." Kaia didn't argue or display any malice for the words Joe had said. This was one of the 50%. 

"Let me ask another favor of you."

Kaia nodded his head to let him know he was listening to what he had to ask. 

"Support Kaoru during the tournament."

**

Kaoru rested his back on the bars with his board beside him. The waves calmly swayed against one another as the sun began to set. The sound of footsteps made him turn his head. 

"I believe this is referred to as being a hypocrite," Kaia said sarcastically as he leaned on the railing and glanced over at Kaoru. "You've been skating out her for hours haven't you. Trust is supposed to go both ways."

Kaoru looked over at him, "Kaia I need to do this."

"I'm not saying don't. But just don't make yourself do it alone. What I meant to say is that I'm not just supposed to rely on you but you can let me be the worrier for once," he mumbled and turned his head towards the ground.

Kaoru noticed him wait nervously for his response and he placed his hand on his head to comfort him. "I understand. I can't tell you everything yet but you know I trust you right?"

"I know."

A/N: we all hate adam but his younger self was kinda fine being all respectful this episode. soo petition to make them two separate ppl? also ikk that adam didn't hit my mans in the face with a skateboard even though hewaskindainlovewithhim ahhh

THANK YOU FOR OVER 11K READS I AM SO GRATEFUL AND THE COMMENTS MAKE ME LAUGH SO MUCH ILY