chapter twenty-six.

Kaia helped Joe over to the couch before releasing him down onto the furniture. It was mostly silent and Kaia was horribly exhausted from everything that happened within the night. He didn't get the chance to get any proper sleep since the woman Joe had spent the night with had called him early in the morning. By the time they got back to the house it may have been four in the morning. 

Joe stole glances at Kaia from the couch and Kaia leaned his arm on the the table with his hand rubbing his eyes. Joe tried to wince without Kaia noticing but it was futile since he quickly went to get him a glass of water and set it in front of him. 

"This should help with the headache."

"Thanks," Joe said quietly and held his temple before picking up the glass. He still kept glancing over at Kaia's exhausted state and was stung with overwhelming guilt. "I'm sorry about this."

"Don't apologize. It's fine," Kaia muttered and rested his head back on the couch with his eyes closed. 

"I know you hate me so-"

"I don't hate you." Kaia interrupted rather bitterly and shifted to turn away from Joe. 

"You don't have sugarcoat anything. It's pretty clear that you're not thrilled about this."

Kaia snapped his head around and laughed dryly. "I don't hate you, I'm frustrated, Kojiro. You always assume how I feel and make it sound like I wouldn't drop everything if some random woman calls me and says that you're passed out in a bar. I'm tired, exhausted even because just when I start figuring things out they get far more complicated than I'm prepared for. We've went from being close to practically strangers. Kaoru and I live in the same house but haven't spoken a word to each other until tonight when I'm given a drunken confession."

"Did you accept it?" Joe questioned and Kaia let himself fall back onto the couch. He ran his hands through his messy hair that had some strands draped over his face. He took a deep breath and groaned loudly while staring up at the ceiling. 

"The confession? Are you worried about the confession?" 

"Yeah," Joe answered reluctantly. 

"Are you serious? That's all you want to say after everything I've said?"

"I just-"

"That's your problem," Kaia pointed his finger over at him and placed a hand over his face. "The only thing on your mind is yourself. How will this effect you. How do I feel about you. Did Kaoru actually beat me to it? That's what you're thinking isn't it."

Joe swallowed hard and kept his eyes on Kaia who chuckled when he stayed silent. 

"You are so selfish. Yet, I go and pick you up from a bar after a woman you probably slept with called me and apologized profusely upon seeing me. Do you know why?"

"No."

"Because I've fallen for you, Kojiro. But, I don't only love you. I love Kaoru, too. Not due to the fact I can't choose but because that is my choice. I want and am willing to love both of you."

Kaia took a deep breath. "You just have to let me."

Joe was at a loss of words as his lips moved to speak but nothing formed. This was the first time that he'd sincerely and clearly heard someone admit that they wholehearted loved him. Not because of his appearance, not in the heat of the moment, and without any insecurity or uncertainty laced within the words. It overwhelmed him and the alcohol lingering in his system only amplified his emotions. 

Tears streamed down his face without warning and Kaia jumped up, beginning to panic. He rushed over to Joe and held his face while trying to wipe his tears with his hands. Joe pulled Kaia into him and embraced him tightly as if he even loosened his grip in the slightest, this moment would slip away from him. He buried his face into Kaia's hair and reveled in his presence while Kaia gradually went to wrap his own arms around him. 

"Do you mean what you said?" Kaoru asked timidly from the stairs with his hand rested on the wall and clear bags showed under his eyes. "Can you really love us both? What if it doesn't work out?"

Kaia lifted his head off of Joe's shoulder to turn around to see Kaoru. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders. "And what if it does? It doesn't hurt to try, right?"

"I don't want to be left behind."

"You won't," Joe blurted and lifted Kaia up onto his shoulder as he stood up from the couch. He ran over to Kaoru at full speed and carried Kaia with ease regardless of his drunken state. Kaoru eyes went wide and put his hands up in surprise of him running towards him. Joe hurriedly pulled Kaoru into him and held all of them together between his arms. 

"You're crushing me, you brute," Kaoru retorted but secretly appreciated the gesture and the warmth of being held close to the both of them. He kept his eyes anywhere else around the room and refused to make eye contact with Joe or Kaia as he blushed awkwardly. 

Kaia couldn't contain his laughter and erupted into a fit of laughter as he struggled to move between them. 

"Those are your first words to me?" Joe feigned to be hurt as he dramatically sulked and Kaoru pursed his lips. 

"I may have missed you, too."

"You did?" Joe questioned sincerely and couldn't prevent a teasing smile from curling onto his lips. 

"Minorly." Kaoru retorted and wrapped his arms around Kaia before placing his cheek against Kaia's tenderly. He felt something wet on his skin and realized that Kaia was crying from their interaction. Kaia couldn't help himself as he noticed that everything was gradually returning to normal. 

Kaia saw that Joe and Kaoru seemed concerned as they believed their bickering was the cause. He shook his head in attempt to compose himself and smiled widely for them. "It's not bad. I just feel really...relieved." 

"I'm sorry for how I pressured you. I shouldn't have pushed my insecurities on you," Kaoru mumbled into Kaia's ear as held him and Kaia leaned his head against him. 

"It's alright. I'm just glad we're all here together, now."