chapter seven.

"What?"

We were already on our way by the time I realized what I had agreed to. Kaoru explained some things on the way and promised I didn't have to step foot on a board. He said I only had to do one thing.

'Just come watch and tell me what you think.'

I stared at the back of his head and thought about what to say. He'd always been serious but now there was a tense silence that hadn't ever been there before. 

"You know ADAM too."

"Joe told you everything?"

"No, I only know bits and pieces from what he briefly explained. Especially the part about him being dangerous and you both knowing him personally."

"I used to know him. But not anymore."

I opened my mouth to say something else but I decided against it. The rest of the ride was silent.

**

"I'm going to skate in the rest of the way," Kaoru stated as he transferred Carla to his board. It lit up a vibrant purple and Carla announced that she was connected. He then skated downhill and Kaia took the motorcycle to one of the overview ledges to watch from afar.  ADAM had just arrived and the crowd just started to mellow down until they started to shout once again. Everyone's eyes turned to the hill where Joe and Kaoru skated down towards them. 

"Cherry and Joe are here!" 

Kaoru came down behind ADAM whereas Joe went to his front to surround him. They both had the same idea in mind. 

"It's been a while ADAM."

"We're here to challenge you to a beef."

ADAM didn't respond but kept his signature grin. Kaoru furrowed his brows in annoyance before speaking again. "You know what we'll be betting right?"

He turned to look at him and feigned innocence. "What was it?" Kaoru was getting frustrated from his lack of seriousness. "Although, I do have something in mind," ADAM walked towards him and leaned forward with a grin. "Or should I say someone?" he whispered.

Kaoru's eyes widened and he clenched his teeth behind his mask. "What are you talking about," he spat back to him. 

"Is it your turn to play dumb?" he chuckled and pointed to the ledge where Kaia stood. He hadn't been looking at them and ADAM turned before saying, "I want him." Just then Kaia glanced down towards Kaoru who was now looking at him eyes filled with dread. 

A hand could be felt on his shoulder and Kaoru turned to see Joe behind him, "They're about to start." He shrugged off his hand and walked off to the side.

**

The race was about to start and I felt the nerves from just waiting. The overhead lights started beeping which signalled the beginning of the race. Once they flashed green Reki leaped forward and started off. Though when my eyes followed him his opponent didn't seem to be beside him. His opponent was patiently standing at the starting line, lighting his cigarette. He talked openly as if he didn't have a care in the world about this race or it's outcome. 

"He's mocking him," I said to myself. 

Joe had explained that he was a talented skater but closing this far of a gap would be somewhat of a challenge. Right?

Wrong.

ADAM ran out with incredible speed and threw down his board. He sped through every curve and turn as if it were child's play. I'm sure he didn't break a sweat doing it either. There was talented and then there was ADAM. He was the kind of person who was so great it made you sick. In a matter of minutes he was able to catch up to Reki from behind. 

ADAM stepped onto Reki's board and caught him right before he fell. Then they rode up on a curve while he left him dangling barely an inch from the ground. Small sparks could be seen and terror was written all over the young boy's face. My blood started to boil but I knew I couldn't do much. This was the nature of S. 

The redhead was close to giving in but he suddenly seemed determined and it brought a smile to my face. "I didn't give him enough credit." 

It appeared that the outcome was turning in his favor. That was until ADAM seemed to turn his board the opposite direction. 

"I knew he was being serious but I couldn't believe it without seeing it..." I watched in awe as he flipped his board and accelerated forward. 

'He has a technique called "Love Hug" that allows him to go uphill.'

ADAM was rushing towards him at full speed and didn't seem to have any plan of slowing down. Before he even reached him, Reki flew off his board in a panic. Maybe I'd grown an attachment over them when we briefly met or I was disgusted by ADAM in general. Regardless, I couldn't bring myself to just watch them anymore.

** 

"Hey!" Langa called out Reki after he crouched beside him. 

"So, the main course is here." He turned around with a worried expression while ADAM seem to look down on them with joy. "Once again, hello, little Langa. I can finally skate with you."

"No you're not," I stated simply as I got off the bike and headed over towards them. ADAM arched his brow in amusement. 

"What was that?"

"I said no you are not." I grabbed the front of his shirt and forcefully pulled it forward. "Was that clear enough for you."

"Did I hit a nerve of yours?" He obviously found my outburst humorous so I refused to answer him. "I'll tell you what, I'll consider revising my menu. But only if you're the main course instead." 

I released him from my grip and stepped away cautiously. His presence alone sent uncomfortable chills down my spine. "What are you talking about?"

"Skate with me and I'll save little Langa for another day."

"Skate..?" I moved my fingers along the tattoo at the back of my hand. "Fine."

A/N: my takeaway from these past episodes is that adam is hisoka reincarnated. the fit and the hair were a red flag. maybe they should call the police on that but what do i know?