chapter seventeen.

sorry it took so long. just crying over sk8 being OVER.

i hope there's a season 2 :)

"Here's your order," Joe said as he placed a large plate in front of Kaia. The green haired male stared down at Kaia who was mumbling angrily to himself. Joe cleared his throat to get his attention but it fell on deaf ears. 

He heard a few words like 'dog', 'rude', and something along the lines of 'never being a yakuza'. Kaia gave off a terrible aura that caused all of Joe's customers to look over in worry as well as fear. Joe tapped the middle of Kaia's head lightly. 

"Your food, kid."

Kaia seemed to break out of his own mind and quietly started eating the food in front of him. Joe gave a warm smile to his customers and quickly went to assist them in attempt to draw attention away from Kaia.

As Joe came back over behind the counter, Kaia started angrily stabbing his fork into his food. "I wish I could just make him eat his words and skate him myself," Kaia grumbled.

"I don't think I've ever really seen you angry before?" Joe admitted as looked at Kaia furrowing his brows and violently eating. "Besides the time where you tried to beat me up~"

Kaia froze and glanced downwards in embarrassment. "I'm sorry. I'm very sorry."

"Aw, don't worry about it," Joe smiled and narrowed his eyes, making his smile happier than it should be. "You only tried to hit my money maker~"

"I really do apologize, that is such an embarrassing memory."

Once Joe was satisfied with his teasing his face softened. He went to check the kitchen after saying, "I always keep your feelings in mind."

Kaia happily started twirling his fork into the pasta and a calmer aura started radiating out of him. He felt the presence of someone watching him and saw a fleeting shadow of Lani watching him from the corner. 

'I'm not alone anymore. I can finally let you go,' he announced through his thoughts.

Lani's figure gave a sincere smile as it began to fade from his eyes. 'You were never alone. Kaia, 'ohana mau loa makou,'

*"we are forever family"

Before he realized a tear streamed down his cheek. Joe came back and looked curiously at Kaia. "Why are you crying?"

"Oh--" Kaia wiped the tear and any planning to come from his eyes. "It's nothing. Just feeling overwhelming relief."

A chime at the door caught both of their attention to a man with a red cap. He headed in their direction with an extravagant letter in hand. 

"Take this," the man handed out a heart shaped note with the writing 'My Eve a.k.a. "Yakuza dog" in bold red cursive letters. Kaia's eye twitched in annoyance. 

"It's from him?" He snorted.

"It's an invitation for you to race against him instead of Snow."

"What?"

"Be careful what you wish for couldn't be more relevant," Joe commented.

"What?" Kaia repeated in disbelief.

One thing led to another and he eventually agreed to race against Adam once again in Langa's place. He was sure the teenager would disagree but it would keep him out of danger and further away from Adam. For the rest of the morning shift, Joe hadn't said anything about the invitation and Kaia decided to wait quietly until the rush hour was over. Once it ended, Kaia awaited eagerly for Joe to give some reaction or piece of advice about how he should approach the beef.