chapter six.

I hadn't been to S since the race and I refused to ever return. Kaoru would invite me to go with him at times but I always declined and stayed home. I was reminded why I left behind my board and why it should stay that way. 

"Carla what's the weather in Kailua, Hawaii?"

"It's 80 degrees right now. It's expected to be sunny all day."

"The perfect weather for surfing..." I lost myself in thought as I laid on the floor with a book over my eyes. I was startled out of my mind when my phone started to ring. I lazily reached out my hand and placed it on my ear. "Hello?"

"What are you doing right now?" It was Joe on the other line and he sounded rather stressed.

"Nothing at the moment. Why?"

"Can you come to the restaurant and fill in? I'm short staffed right now! Please!"

"I don't know. Mr. Sakurayashiki may blow a fuse."

"His employee is also mine by default. I'll even pay you!"

"I'll be right over."

**

I slouched down in one of the booths exhausted. Joe laughed at how tired I was from filling in a shift for a few hours. The employees he needed soon showed up and apologized to Joe profusely. He gave them an earful for showing up late but let them off the hook.  

"Thanks. You really saved me today," he ruffled my head in gratitude before taking off his apron and setting it to the side. "Now I'll pay you back by taking you with me to a restaurant I wanted to try."

I let out a sigh while I rested my chin on my hand. "I'm definitely going to be chewed out."

"Don't sweat it. Kaoru is just dramatic." Joe easily lifted me up and carried me outside his restaurant before putting me down. "Why are you so worried about him anyway?" He said it suggestively but I wrapped my arms around myself as I shivered at the thought of Kaoru. 

"How do you think I got here so fast?" I gestured with my eyes to look behind him and he turned to see a familiar purple motorcycle. 

Joe stifled a laugh and glanced back at me, "You didn't." I glared at him bitterly while he didn't even try to hide his laughter anymore as he clutched his stomach. Some people looked curiously at us as they walked by and Joe laughed loudly.

"Joe, people are starting to stare," I whispered before repeatedly tapping his arm. 

"Kojiro Nanjo."

"What does that mean?"

"That's my name. I think you've well earned at least calling me by my actual name instead of my skate one."

"Kanjiro," I practiced saying to myself. 

**

Joe led Kaia into a noodle shop and they sat in the seats in front of the kitchen. He decided to let Joe order for him since he was the culinary expert. Their food came rather quickly and they began to eat until a pair of high schoolers sat beside them.

"So what kind of skater is this ADAM guy?" Langa asked. 

"He's the guy who started S. Rumors say he's still undefeated," Reki explained to him. 

"I see," Langa appeared more excited than intimidated by the legendary skater. 

"Don't you be getting all excited."

"Anything else?"

"Actually, most of him is a mystery. Though the founding members probably know." Kaia could tell that Joe was listening intently to their conversation. When the redhead mentioned the "founding members" he even seemed twitch in response. 

"Founding members?"

"Like Cherry and Joe. The veterans like them all--"

"That's not true," Joe interrupted and everyone at the table turned their attention to him. Reki recognised him immediately. 

"Joe?"

"I was skating with ADAM way before S started."

"You know him?" Langa asked Reki. 

"This is Joe, one of the founding members! Known as the fastest six-pack skater! He's the strongest skater if you're talking about power!"

"Don't give me that 'just about power' thing!" He pulled him into a headlock and Kaia looked over while eating his noodles. 

"You're gonna suffocate him," he said. Reki pleaded for Joe to let him go and Langa stared at Kaia. 

"You're the surfer."

"I think you've mistaken me for someone else."

Joe finally let Reki go and the redhead immediately brought out his phone. "No he's totally right!" He pulled up a video and showed him.

'What the hell are you?!'

'A surfer.'

Kaia covered his face in embarrassment. "I was caught up in the moment." He then looked over to Reki and became serious. "But more importantly what about this ADAM?"

Joe went into detail about him being the "Matador of Love". He explained that he believed that skating is a ritual of love. Joe said that he himself didn't understand what he meant and recently he couldn't understand in general. Adam was a dangerous skater and you couldn't leave a race with him without being severely injured. 

"Got that? You should listen to your senpai's advice," he slammed some money on the table. "I'd like to pay for those two, too!" He winked and yelled to the chef before leaving.

"I wish you well in your race." Kaia looked over and saw the little amount of money Joe had left. He gave a disappointed expression before following after Joe. 

'That wasn't nearly enough money,' he thought to himself and shook his head.

**

"Did you take out the bike?" Kaoru asked after he walked in the house. Kaia dreaded when he came home and even came back hours earlier to make sure he didn't notice. 

"Yes. Though it was only a short trip." He awaited a scolding but Kaoru only mumbled in response and seemed spaced out. "Mr. Sakurayashiki?" He immediately headed upstairs and came back down in his usual skating outfit. Kaoru was now wearing an irritated expression and angrily talked to himself. 

"Are you alright?"

He didn't seem to hear.

"Mr. Sakurayashiki?"

Kaoru hastily walked around the house and grabbed his board. He tied up his hair and finally went over to Kaia.

"Come with me to S."