chapter twenty.

"Are you ready for your race tomorrow?"

Kaia slumped dramatically onto the bar counter and pressed his cheek against the cold surface. Honestly, he was half regretting taking Adam up on his offer but on the other hand he wanted to beat him once and for all.

"I'm not sure. I can't stand the anticipation of waiting but at the same time I wish I didn't agree to it."

"Another thing I've learned about you. You're very indecisive."

"What do you mean another thing?" Kaia lifted his head and rested his chin on his hand to get a better look at Joe while he spoke to him. 

"Just some minor habits and traits that you have."

Kaia perked up in interest and smiled happily. "Like?"

The restaurant was rather empty for the moment since he had just opened. He rolled his eyes playfully and sat in the seat next to Kaia. Joe appeared to be thinking and turned to Kaia when he finalized the list of things in his mind.

"For example, when you get nervous or anxious you want someone near you to feel more comfortable so you usually grab my sleeve or shirt if I'm near. Or that you try to stifle your laugh when you find something funny to hide the faint snorts you make. Oh, and you're not great with names because you butchered my name right after I told you what it was." He chuckled to himself and leaned his cheek onto his hand. Joe gazed almost lovingly as Kaia began to get more and more flustered over time. " You also cover your face when you're embarrassed like right now.

Joe reached out and pulled his hands down from his face. "Too cute~" he cooed.

"Kojiro! Stop messing around like that or I swear my hearts gonna burst out of my chest or something." Kaia had shouted at first but his voice mellowed out as he continued.

Joe never passed up on an opportunity to tease Kaia or get a reaction out of him. But this time he had been half joking about the things he said. He was nervous thinking about if Kaia could even imagine viewing their relationship as anything but platonic. 

"Hey, listen I--"

A woman came up beside Kaia and knocked on the table hesitantly near them to get their attention. 

"I just wanted to let you know that my table is ready to order." She smiled but it was clear she was annoyed and tired of waiting. Joe lead her back to her table and took their orders. Their annoyance quickly subsided when he began flirting with them and offered drinks on the house. 

He eventually came back over and placed the paper with their order for the people in the back to see. Joe sighed and focused his attention back onto Kaia who had just been watching him patiently. 

"So what were you going to say?"

"I--oh nothing important. In fact, I can't even remember," he started rambling and Kaia stifled a laugh. Joe couldn't fight his urge to tuck the free strand of Kaia's hair behind his ear. His hand lingered on the side of his face longer than he planned but he found himself frozen. He was still as he admired Kaia's face from up close that had lit up only a moment ago from the words he'd said. He'd known Kaia was fairly attractive when they'd met the first time but he didn't think it'd be possible that Joe could find that he seemed more beautiful as Kaia stared curiously into Joe's eyes. 

All of sudden, someone obnoxiously cleared their throat near them, causing Kaia to pull away and smile warmly at the person who came.

"Kaoru," Kaia chirped. 

"Kaoru," I muttered bitterly since he'd interrupted. 

"Don't sound too happy to see me, gorilla," Kaoru said sarcastically. "I didn't come here to see you anyway."