chapter eight.

Kaoru couldn't believe what he'd seen Kaia agree to over the camera screens. He pursed his lips and skated out towards the exit to meet him. Joe couldn't help but grin when he heard he'd skate again. Of course, he was equally as concerned since you challenged Adam. 

When Kaoru finally came up to where they'd parted before, Kaia could be seen driving up to him. He stepped off and allowed Kaoru to drive while he handed over Carla to Kaia. The majority of the ride back was silent since each of them had a lot on their minds. Kaoru quickly glanced back to try and read Kaia before looking back forward. He didn't expect to see him so downcast.

"Ka--" He began but paused when he felt a pair of arms embrace him from behind as if pleading him to keep the silence. Then he flinched slightly when Kaia rested his head on his back. The atmosphere soon changed from its previous strained state to a more comfortable one. 

**

The mutual quiet continued until they began eating at the table. Kaia kept his eyes on his food as he ate and Kaoru kept his gaze on him. He wanted to ask many questions but decided to keep his curiosity at bay for the time being. 

"You're curious about me," Kaia spoke but still kept his eyes down. Kaoru averted his eyes awkwardly and continued to eat. 

"You could say that."

"I owe you at least that much for your hospitality. Go ahead Mr. Sakurayashiki."

"Kaoru is fine."

Kaia looked up to him and gave a small smile, "Kaoru, then."

"I'll start with your past. Specifically your surfing phobia."

"It was about a year ago."

one year ago

Kaia burst through the front door of his home after finishing school. He ran to the kitchen where he knew his older brother would be and jumped on him from behind. "Lani! We have to surf this weekend! The waves are going to be at least twenty feet!"

Lani flipped the vegetables he had cooking in the pan and appeared agitated by Kaia's sudden interruption. He smacked his head with a book before rubbing the nape of his neck. "There's no way we're gonna surf in waves like that."

Kaia held the place where he was hit and pulled up something on his phone. "Come on, how often do we have waves like this at Kailua! This is once in a lifetime and we're so close," he begged and clung to his arm desperately. "Please, please, please!"

Lani clicked his teeth in annoyance after he finally finished cooking and turned off the stove. He snatched the phone from his hand and read it. He reluctantly sighed before looking over to Kaia with concern. 

"You've never been in waves like this what if--"

"You'll be there," he interrupted impatiently.

"You have to remember--"

"Balance is everything. I know, I know," he interrupted again. "This can be my high school graduation gift."

"Okay already, I'll take you."

Lani had been a professional surfer some referred to him as a genius even. He had been the one to Introduce Kaia to the world of surfing. He'd practically raised him and became an important mentor figure for him. Twenty foot waves seemed like child's play when compared to Lani. Except, that night didn't happen how either of them planned. 

And it was Kaia's fault.

Lani eyed the monstrous waves ahead that appeared large than the predicted twenty feet. He gripped his board and looked over to Kaia. "This is dangerous. We can't surf in weather like this."

Kaia ignored his warning and began running to the shore with board in hand. "Suit yourself! Wait here!"

"Kaia! Stop!" Lani's voice was drowned out by the crashing of water and fast winds around them. He began paddling out into the ocean and prepared to ride the upcoming wave without hesitation. It was larger than anything he'd ever ridden before that everything around seemed to be tuned out by his adrenaline. 

Kaia turned forward on his board and stood once the current picked him up. He threw his arms out and yelled out in excitement. "You're missing out!" When his eyes looked to the shore Lani was trying to warn him about the wave behind him. It began to come over him and devour him from above. His whole body froze in horror as he was swallowed under. 

"Kaia!" Was the last muffled sound he heard before being pulled under. He began to fall under and be forced down by the current. His consciousness began to fade out when he saw a hand grab him and pull him above the water. They both gasped for air once they were above but were repeatedly submerged. 

Before he could comprehend where he was he'd been pulled onto the shore by the water. Kaia coughed and gasped desperately to refill his lungs. "At least we made it back to shore Lani," he looked over beside him but nobody was there. "Lani?" He called out again. "Lani!"

When looked out into the distance his brother's board could be seen throw into the air by the waves. Though his brother was nowhere to be seen. Kaia watched the board be thrown around in horror before he screamed for help from anyone around. 

"Help! Somebody help my brother! Call 911, he needs help! Help him please!" He yelled until his throat became sore and a lady nearby said she called them.

present

"By the time the rescue team arrived Lani's lungs were filled with water and he didn't have a pulse," Kaia gripped his hand as he explained. 

"I'd imagine why you'd be so against the board," Kaoru said in response.

"I couldn't even bring myself to quit after his death. He could never surf again and it was my fault. So I figured I could surf in his place and it was fine." Kaia paused as he reminisced. "But my guilt started to haunt me whenever I did. I could hear his voice behind me constantly. In the start I'd only hear them after surfing for a while. Overtime, they'd be there the second I touched a board."

"That's why you moved here," Kaoru said in realization. 

"I figured it was because in Hawai'i his memory was everywhere. But the guilt followed me even here."

"You just need to overcome it. And I going to be the one to help you."

"I couldn't ask that of you."

"Then good thing I wasn't asking." Kaoru stood from his seat and grabbed Kaia's hands into his own. "Just put your trust in me."

At that moment Kaoru was able to figure out why he'd agreed to let this stranger named Kaia into his home. It was because he reminded him of his own past.