chapter twenty-three.

Kaia's pov

How long has it been? 

I wasn't exactly sure but it felt like it'd been weeks since any of us had spoken to one another. Even though Kaoru and I lived in the same place, I barely ever saw him unless it was glimpse of his floral pink hair flowing behind him as he left the house. I couldn't bring myself to visit Joe's restaurant either but either way I was convinced he didn't want me there anyways. 

I was stuck and there was only one place I could think to go to. 

The ocean.

I had been visiting the coast for a while and I'd simply stare as each wave turned over the other in a rhythmic motion of imperfect perfection. Regardless of everything that happened, the ocean stays the same. 

It isn't hard to understand. 

It's simple and easy to read. 

That's why I always loved it. 

"Do you want to borrow a board?" A gruff voice asked and broke me out of my own thoughts. 

"I'm sorry, what did you ask?"

"A board," they clarified and gestured their own surfboard in front of my face. "Do you want one?"

My eyes widened and I glanced over to the ocean before looking back at them. "Oh, I don't surf."

"Look, we've noticed you here everyday staring at the ocean for hours! If you don't surf already than you were probably born to do it anyways."

"Come on, Kacey! We're going in without you if you don't hurry over!" A girl shouted from down at the shore and waved her arm in the air. 

"I'm coming!" The person I assumed was named Kacey; shouted back to her. He then looked back to me and set the board down beside me. "If you do decide to join, here's your board."

"Wa-"

He then went to run off and picked up his own board that stood in the sand. "See you when later! Because I know you're going to join us surfer boy!" He emphasized the new nickname and went to enter the water on his board. 

I stared at the board beside me on the ground and bent down to run my hands over the design. It was a plain white with a large hibiscus flower design in the center. 

It was beautiful and my perfect size. It was so very tempting but I can't surf without a swim suit can I?

I picked up the board into my arm and walked over near where the people from before were surfing. When Kacey caught me at the shore, he rode off onto the shore and stepped off his board. 

"Surfer boy! You never disappoint!"

"I just came to return your board since I don't have a swimsuit so I can't-"

"No worries, Kuga always brings extras! Just check in the bag over there," he said with a cheeky grin that screamed 'you can't excuse your way out of this'. 

So, that is how I was practically dragged and forced to surf on the coast of Japan. Well except I wasn't exactly dragged but that grin of persistence basically forced me to put on that swimsuit and attempt to surf after over a year!

"You've got this surfer boy, I can feel it in my bones and my instincts are always right. Just ask anyone here."

The girl from before came to the shore and muttered a 'yeah right' while walking past us. 

"Did you have something to say, Yachi?" He asked with annoyance laced in his voice. 

"Nothing, oh great wise one. Please carry on," she said sarcastically and dramatically bowed to him. He clicked his tongue in annoyance before glaring at her from the corner of his eye.