Love at First Sight = Bullshit

TW: Homophobic Slurs, Abuse, Religion

There was a cold breeze pushing against Theo's cheeks, which added a fresh blush to his face. Not useful when you are trying to act as unphased as you possibly can. He pulled his hands up to cup his mouth and tried breathing as hard as possible into them in an attempt to warm himself up.

They were talking outside the metal doors of the school.

He'd met Aahana when he was still learning how to talk properly, and they'd remained friends ever since. She'd force him to play dress up, he'd be the pirate, she'd be the mermaid. She'd force him to play families, he'd be the dad, she'd be the mom. And then he'd force her to act out scenes from books his mom read to him.

It was mainly Harry Potter, which he'd grown an obsession with from the ages of 3 until he was about 10. They made up new characters for themselves and added them into the golden trio because none of the people described in the book looked anything like them. Now he understands why he had such a strong connection to Remus and Sirius. He may or may not still hold onto that and definitely didn't binge read 'All the Young Dudes' a few months ago...

Then when they met in Duyi in 8th grade when he joined halfway through the year and asked Aahana and Theo if they were dating, or to put it how he said it, "Are you two dating? Because I don't want to tread on any toes."

Aahana and Duyi started dating in 9th grade.

They don't make him feel like a third-wheel much of the time, but when it's a group of three and two of those people are dating, it's bound to happen to some degree.

Theo wasn't engaged in the conversation at all, as his mind was whizzing and buzzing around. He tried to ignore the stares from a few people around him, a few of them scoffing things as they walked past. Lots of scorns and giggles, but there were at least a handful of pitiful smiles from some people.

Last night, Violet O'hana decided to release a 'gossip' article about Theo being gay. He had no idea how she gathered the information, and it was mainly just hearsay, but people believed it. And to be fair, it was true.

He doubts she had ill-intent behind it, although the fact it was classified as 'gossip' says enough to him.

They lived in Florida for fucks sake.

Nevertheless, he had been determined to push through it and try to attend school. He didn't have an explanation for his parents, so it was either skipping school or coming out, both seemed like bad options at the moment.

There was only one other guy in the school who was 'out', and he was teased relentlessly for the first month or so. It settled down eventually but there are still a few people who make jokes here and there.

Or slurs.

He took a deep breath. There was a pit burning inside his stomach and he felt increasingly nauseous the more time went on.

Shit did I take my meds this morning? He thought.

"Earth to Theo!" Aahana shouted waving her hand in front of his face. "You can do this, we promise."

Aahana knew he was gay before he did, and Duyi found out when he asked if they were dating. Neither of them cared at all. Theo supposes that's one of the reasons he loves them both so much.

Last night his phone was blown up with a slew of messages from her in regards to his well-being. He knew she meant well. But the messages were left unread.

"Okay. Let's go." He stifled out.

Aahana looped her arm into his and started pulling him along. "Me and Duyi are here. You'll be okay."