Protest People

"Hey, baby."

Kit's mother was fixed in his doorway precariously, smiling at him gingerly, like a fish eyeing the hook.

"Can I come in? I have something."

Kit nodded, dubiously.

He didn't want pity, he wanted her to forget.

She slipped in like an angel, smoothed part of his duvet out, and sat down at the end of it. Kit had the covers pulled over him, to his shoulders. It was a day after everything and he just wanted to hide.

Maybe if he hid, she'd forget.

His dad forgets about him when he is quiet.

"I got you a gift."
"I'm okay, you do not need to, mom." Kit tried to sound as convincing as possible.
"I don't doubt that, Kristopher. But I still wanted to give you this. Okay, love? Eyes shut!"

She brought gifts for compensation all the time, whenever she'd let their father back in the house, even after countless begs and cries from him and his sister. Money and presents were her way to show she loved them.

But not as much as she feared her husband. Maybe it isn't fear. Kit couldn't tell if she is terrified or loves him too much, they both look the same now.

Kit still does not understand how his mother can put her entire life and soul into someone who gives nothing back.

She must mistake salt for sugar.

He shut his eyes and pulled his arms out of his cocoon, and opened his palms. That hurt. Stretching his hands out pulled at the husk of stiff bones in his hands, shooting pain up them.

It felt nice.

Paper slipped into his hands, and he felt the bed shift from his mother standing up, he opened them.

"I remember you mentioning them once, you looked very happy. I got two in case you wanted to take Kade or someone. I do not know much about them... I have words of wisdom if you'd like, love."

Kit did not say anything, only blinked. She knew that meant yes.

"Flowers remind us why rain is necessary... I know you won't want to be compared to a flower but, remember."

She was correct, he hated it. He pulled over onto his side and glared at the wall, looking at the poster of a football jersey.

When he peered back she was gone.

Tickets to see 'Protest People' live in one month, Kit heavily doubted that Kade would think highly of the show. He also heavily doubted his mother knew anything about the band aside from the fact he enjoyed it, or she most definitely would not have brought those tickets.

The only other person he knew would not make fun of him, currently hated him. Perfect.

Sempiternal Asshole: hey can we talk pls

Theodore the Chipmunk: Depends.

Coming in at world-record speed was Theo's message. Theo noticed after he sent it that it was certainly too fast of a response. He switched his phone off after sending it, chucked it onto the floor, switched it back on again to check the screen, sighed when there was no response, noticed he cared too much, switched it back off again, and then:

Ping

He grabbed it too quickly again, smacked himself in the face, and waited to respond.

Sempiternal Asshole: I never say sorry. like ever, so u know idk how to really say it. but im really sorry for being rude i didnt mean to i promise. its just idk new to me ig i never knew any gay people before