Mission Impossible

Theo thinks weekends are only good for two sole purposes- no school, get to sleep in. Teacher's think it's an opportunity to 'catch up on work' or do extra work. Isn't the purpose of school to learn things? Why would he do more school at home?

So, when he is returned to the land of the living by his mother at 9 am, he is not very pleased.

"Rise and shine!" Mrs. Sheih said sugary and way too happy for a weekend morning. She ruffled his hair and was met by a sparse bash away from half-conscious Theo.

"Why are you waking me up?" Theo croaked out, his eyes blinded by his drawn curtains, he tried pulling the cotton blanket over his head, but his mother yanked it off of him. His eyes were still heavy, his movements stiff.

"Kristopher is here," She responded, dumping the blanket onto the floor in a heap.

"Can you not do that with my blanket!"

"Maybe if it is on the floor you'll actually make it, get up."

"Mom, there's no point in making a bed that you're just going to sleep in again." He scoffed, still being marginally blinded, his eyes burning up. Summer would be starting soon, and he was not overly ecstatic about the blinding rays that started earlier and earlier. He coiled over and drove a pillow into his face, do you think you could suffocate yourself that way?

"Get up, don't leave him waiting it's rude."

"Who?" Theo asked, rubbing away the wariness and now finally being able to comprehend the words she's saying.

"I just told you. You teenagers in the morning gosh. Kris-to-pher."

"Fu- oh." Theo jolted up, chucking the pillow on the floor, and glanced over in his mirror, smacking the side of his bed in disgust to his morning face.

"I will pretend you were not going to curse. Did you not know he was coming over?" She sighed, standing up and resting against the door.

"No, obviously not." He said, flailing around at himself to demonstrate his neglected hair and pajamas.

He moved over to the mirror and rambled around on his desk for gum, brushing his hair around with his fingers to try and get it to look at least half-decent, his feet beginning to freeze against the cold, wooden floor.

"What?" He looked up at his mother who was standing still at the door, a quizzical expression on her face, "Why are you doing that face?"

"What face?" She smiled and tapped her foot against the pine floor.

"Can you go?" He said, pulling out a dark green hoodie and finally finding, which was, fortunately, the last piece of gum he had and slipping it into his mouth.

"Do you like him?" She asked.

"What? No- Don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Assume that all the boys I am friends with, I automatically like."

"You just seem a little bit, rushed to look nice that is all." She shrugged.

"Well, I am very sorry for not wanting to look like a zombie, can I leave now?" He cocked his head to the side and gave her a blank face.

"Yes, yes." She waved him off and opened the door for him, letting him leave first.

"Hey!" Theo said, stomping down the stairs and sliding on the tiles into the kitchen.

"Hi." Kit said back, picking at the wood on the dining table.