Marshmallow

It was proved that when the boys got along, school blurred away quickly. Time fell through an hourglass, slowly slipping through their fingers and falling into the break. Somehow, this month of school felt faster than the first week where they hadn't spoken.

The weather cooled, the leaves had transformed and fell. The trees had gone sparse, like dried and withered bones.

Rose stood in his door, in a white lace dress and a crochet black cropped cardigan, she was applying a dark red lipstick, "Issac and his family are here." She mumbled, wiping away a smudge of lipstick from her chin. She was paired with an orange hair bow and bracelet, when Kit told her that, as he put it- 'Even I can tell that's the worst fucking match in fashion history'- she told him that it was to raise awareness for the indigenous people and was in fact not a fashion statement. She explained that he had only seen the very sweet, blatantly false part of history. Learning that America was "discovered" after a successful harvest celebrated by a joyous meal- turkey and all. That was actually much more complex than a peaceful lunch. Kit found the lesson to be of use and had decided that when, and if, he had kids he would never celebrate thanksgiving.

Then he proceeded to ask how wearing a color for a family gathering will raise awareness seeing as it was clear to him nobody in the family would even realize. She told him it was a movement or something, he still didn't really understand. But then she said how silly he was to think that her doing that was all she had done and she'd also donated to the "Native Wellness Institute". Mainly from their dad's credit card.

"You going to announce everyone's arrival?" He asked.

"Kit!" His younger cousin shouted, running into the room and throwing herself onto his leg.

"Hey Kayla!" He answered, ruffling up her hair and pulling her up onto his hip.

"Your dada says you have to come to say hello to everyone!" She whispered in his ear, messing up some words, bits of spit falling into his ear.

He walked out of his room to see everyone gathered in the living area, talking and holding champagne glasses. Issac was huddle in the corner, anxiously, staying back from everyone, eyes falling around the room, darting away when anybody made eye contact with him.

"There he is!" The uncle that didn't ever find a wife. Probably due to his laziness, misogyny, and football obsession.

"Hey Mike," Kit smiled, shaking his hand like he'd been taught to do.

"Hey, sweetie!" His Aunt Jeanette said, moving away from his two other cousins who were huddled around her legs, when she moved to hug him, they followed and dangled onto Kit's legs.

"Hey, Harry, hey Ashley," He said, patting their heads awkwardly.

He went over to hand Kayla back to her mom, her older brother almost immediately began begging him to go outside and play football with him.

"How's that going, Kristopher?" Their dad asked, referring to the football.

"Good. I won us the big match not too long ago," He smiled.

"I don't doubt that!"

After exchanging small talk with his aunts, uncles, and grandparents he fell onto the couch in a bundle, waiting for one of his cousins to come and ask if he had any games on his phone.

It was true, what his mother said, about the whole family loving him. It just meant he was expected to engage in this for the whole night, and also keep up exceeding expectations 24/7.

Issac was the one who came and sat down next to him, he stayed upright and rigid like he hadn't known what Kit's reaction would be and was preparing himself to run away.