The Beginning of the Date

"What kind of witchcraft is this, I see?"

I turned at the sound of the voice. It was Neji and his crew. I rolled my eyes as the smug boy walked up to us. Lee was walking on his hands, which I didn't find weird at all. Tenten was cleaning her kunai and I could hear her telling Lee that he was going to wear himself out if he continued to do things like that. I didn't quite agree. Lee could run to the top of the highest mountain and back without breaking much of a sweat.

"What did you say?" Mami asked, her eyes taking on that disgusted look. Wow, she really hates humans...

"What was that just now?" Tenten asked, curiousity in her eyes. "We never saw anything like that before. That was reaaalllyy cool!"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. I'm sure it wasn't that cool.

"You prove yourself weirder than before, Lea," Neji said with a sly grin.

This time I did roll my eyes. "If 'weird' equals 'stronger than you' then compliment accepted."

"I assure you it wasn't."

"Oh Neji, stop being so stuffy and formal," Tenten admonished. "We're all the same age here."

"That's right, Neji!" Lee inputted, flipping over unto his feet. "Youth knows no bounds!"

"Yeah, what Lee said is right ... although that's one way to say it." Tenten's sweat dropped.

"These are who you call your friends, Lea?" Mami whispered to me. I didn't answer but I was sure she wasn't expecting an answer. I could tell that she already came to her own conclusion. That they were the bunch of weirdos.

I sighed and rested my hand on Machaera's hilt. "Can you guys leave? You're interrupting our training."

"You interrupted our training first so this only seems fair." I frowned at Neji.

"What are you talking about?" Mami asked, a little hostile.

"What you guys did just a while ago. That little ritual thingy shook the whole ground and there was this really loud sound. It scared away all the birds I was hunting and Neji, with his grumpy self, had to stop his meditating."

"You didn't bother me at all, Lea-chan!" Lee shouted at me with a wide grin. I ignored the green fool. I was too concentrated on what Tenten had said.

Mami and I both exchanged bewildered expressions. We hadn't even noticed any of that.

"You want an apology?" Mami asked.

Tenten cocked her head to the side. "No, not rea-"

"Yes, an apology is exactly what we came here for," Neji interjected.

I narrowed my eyes at him. This guy was really starting to get on my nerves. "Looks like you're in for severe disappointment," I told him icily. "Now if you'll excuse us."

I turned my back to them, Mami giving a look of superiority before she turned with me. I had no time to stop and chat with them. I had planned to train with Mami before heading back home and I'm really beginning to hate when my plans get screwed up.

"Will you stop acting that way?" I heard Tenten whisper to Neji. "She'll never like you if you keep acting like a cranky, mean old man."

I turned back to them. "What was that?"

For the first time in a long time, I found myself honestly surprised and taken aback. Neji was rubbing the back of his head, his body bent and cowering under Tenten's angry stance and his face as red and as bright as a freshly grown tomato. Tenten had her hands firmly placed on her hips and she was looking at Neji with an expression of frustration and annoyance. Lee looked amusingly bemused.