Saving Mami

When I was thrown back into my cell I woke up. It seems I'll be passing out any time I acted up now, or I will be subjected to that jinjuriki handcuff again. Not something I wanted to see happening. There had to be some way to build tolerance. There just had to.

I stood up and slowly looked around. Which made no sense, since I could barely see anything through the darkness but I did it anyway. It felt just as weird and creepy as before and I felt an insane urge to get out, even if I had to claw my way out.

"You took you're time getting back."

I whirled on my heels. Sitting in the shadows, there was an even darker shadow but I couldn't see the shape. It just look like one large lump.

"Who's there?" I called cautiously. This was his prison lair, after all. You could never be too sure as to what you may find around this place. I inched a bit closer, and then the lump moved.

"You look like you're strong enough to walk now," the lump said. "Finally, I've been waiting so long. You're very weak, you know that?"

"Thanks for the compliment," I said sarcastically. "Who the hell are you? Come out of the shadows."

"Are you sure you can handle seeing me? I'm rather scary, I've been told."

That didn't sit very well with me but I didn't show it. I just crossed my arms and said, "I'll be the judge of that."

The lump moved, as if it were shrugging. "Okay, my lady. Whatever you command."

My lady? Only one person ever called me that and that was Mami, and she had stopped calling me that weeks ago. The lump shifted and slowly it became an even bigger lump, so big I had to step back, my head bending back farther and farther as I looked up to see. Finally, it stopped getting bigger and, through the darkness, I saw that the lump became a shape.

"What are you waiting for?" the shape said.

I blinked, coming out of my shock. "H-huh? What?"

"Make some light so that you can see me?"

"How do I do that?"

There was a groan. "What were you being taught all this time?"

"H-how to use my eyes properly."

"Ahhh, yes that's right. You're a part of the Hasharimi clan with those blood eyes. Honing your eyes makes sense but you still need to practice your other skills too."

"What other skills?"

"You're Masuta," the shape said, sounding as if he was surprised he had to say this. I was just as surprised. How did he know? "All the skills in the world belong to you."

"H-how do you know what - I mean who - I am?"

"Make some light and you'll find out."

This was all too much. I stepped back a bit, confused and intrigued at the same time. All I had to do was make some light, right? I'm sure I could do that. After all, I had thought my element was fire alone all this time. I'm very good at it.

I took a deep breath and pushed it out through my mouth. "Fire Style: Torch!" Then I swung my open palm around and when it came back it alighted with fire. I jumped back in shock. "H- How the hell did I know how to do that?"

The shape laughed loudly. "Why are you asking me? You're the one who did it. The only thing I can probably tell you is that you're Masuta. You were born with it."

I stared at my palm that was blazing fire, with my eyes wide. It didn't hurt. Not one bit. The bright red flame glowed so bright, I could actually see what was around me.