Killing Two Birds With One Stone

Really, what was I to expect from Naruto? One second we're fighting over a chicken and, after only kicking him in his chin, he was demanding a fight from me.

What made it worse was that I couldn't really say no. It was his request. So that meant that it didn't matter how tired I was after eating, I had to do it. Me and my stupid body. If I hadn't passed out during the race none of this would have happened.

I stood facing Naruto, my arms folded behind me. He stood a few feet away from me, grinning from ear to ear. The others were around us. Sakura and Sasuke sat at a tree, with Kiba and Akamaru sitting above them on a branch. Hinata was standing beside them, hands clasped in front of her, eyes filled with worry. The bug guy was like a statue beside her. Horo wasn't around, saying that he would rather chat with the ladies inside than watch two kids beat each other with their stubby fists - to paraphrase.

Naruto shifted from foot to foot, obviously excited. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

Mami, who was sitting beside me, leaned over and whispered, "You're gonna do this?"

I shrugged. "Why not?"

"Want help?"

"Nah. That's kind of like cheating since it will be two against one."

"Well, who's to say that that blond airhead won't use clones?"

"If he uses clones then I will too. No big deal."

"But-"

"No, Mami. I don't want your help. Now you can either go watch with the others over there or I'm sending you back to your world."

"I can always come back anyway," she muttered sulkily but she walked away.

I looked at Naruto. "Yo, how you wanna do this?" I asked.

For a second, Naruto looked confused before his face cleared. "Oh, no weapons!" he said, looking at Machaera. "Only our fists."

"Straight up taijutsu?" I asked with a raised brow. Didn't he know that I would kick his butt if it was only taijutsu?

He nodded emphatically, his grin still splitting his face. This time I did roll my eyes.

"Okay. Just remember that you requested that we fight, not that you win."

"I wouldn't want you to let me win anyway."

I nodded. That's good. "Just don't come crying to me when I smash your face in." I got in position. "Ready?"

"Wait!" It was Hinata. She ran forward between us, eyes still wide with concern. "I-I need to talk to Lea first."

"What? But, Hinata we-"

"Please," she said, cutting Naruto off. I watch her make her way over to me with surprise.

"What is it?" I asked her, curious.

"I have a request to make," she said, her voice soft but the tone serious.

"Come on, Hinata not now. Can't you see I'm in the middle of something?"

"Yes, I know but it can't wait. It only just occurred to me actually. I - uh - want you to win. W-well, more specifically, I want you to beat Naruto up a little."

I could have guessed a million things but what she said was definitely not one of them. My mouth fell open in shock. I quickly grabbed her shoulders, looking her up and down, from head to toe.

"What are you doing?" she asked in alarm.

"Checking to see if this is the same Hinata. Yep, looks the same to me. What the hell do you mean you want me to beat him up? I was told that you liked Naruto."