The Shadows

A woman ran past me, her scream blaring in my ears. She didn't get very far before a shadow's hand stretched up from the ground in front of her, elongating to use its talons to rip her throat out. She fell with a gurgle, but was soon trampled by more villagers trying to get to safety.

"Damn it," I muttered just as the others ran up behind me.

"This is bad," Kankuro said. His hand was already on his wrapped up puppet. "Real real bad."

"Where are the others?" Neji asked, his eyes crinkled. A mega-shadow appeared behind him but he quickly whirled and sliced it open with his chakra hand.

"I don't know." My eyes scanned the chaos, looking for a flash of pink, blue or orange, but all I saw was red. Red blood.

"Well then, we better take care of these guys." Temari withdrew her fan from behind her. "Let's go!"

I ran off with them, Mami by my side. Two mega shadows appeared before us. It exuded darkness and evil, threatening to stifle me with it. I closed my eyes and in the next second my hands were covered in purple chakra. I ran and jumped up into the air, baring my fist to slam down on my opponent. From the corner of my eye, I saw Mami engage the other one.

My chakra covered fist slammed into the shadow, which tore its face apart. It made no difference because its face started to grow back but I moved too quickly. I sent punch after punch into its body until it has been reduce to nothing. Unfortunately for me, there was no chance for rest. Mega shadow after mega shadow came barreling towards me.

My chakra covered fist took them down one by one. I leapt over one, severing its head from his body, and using its body to slam into another one who was trying to sneak up on Mami, before the parts could reattach themselves. My kick went right through another and I dived through the opening, narrowly missing talons clawing down my back.

Mami knocked one aside, quickly sliding in to cover my back as I did hers. I was moving faster than I ever did before. Everything around me was a blur, only focusing on my enemies.

"Mami!" Mami wasted no time getting rid of her enemy and slid under my feet when I jumped into the air. She flew up immediately while I made my hand signs.

"They just keep coming!" she complained. Mami flicked her tail into my back, which had me flying back towards the ground. Halfway there, I completed my hand signs and shouted "Heavenly Flame!"

Then I landed on the ground crouched like a cat while the ground exploded in purple flames around me. It was a dangerous jutsu, I knew. Especially because I couldn't be sure if all the villagers got away, but with hoarde that just kept on coming, I saw no other option.

Being that it was my flame, I was immune to it. I dashed in and out of the fire, cutting down any mega shadow that hadn't been touch by it. The regular shadows all fled the scene with piercing screams leaving in their wake, no doubt ready to attack another part of the village.

Mami remained above ground. She began forming a fiery bow and arrow, shooting at all the regular shadows that were getting away. They faded away with a screech as soon as the light touch them.

"Lea!!"

I whirled on my heels, and watched with immense relief as Naruto, Sakura, Sasuke and Horo came running towards me. Horo reached me first, and immediately swept me up, much to my surprise.

"Woah, whoa," I said. "What's with all the commotion?"

"What happened to you?" Sakura asked as soon as she reached me. I grabbed her by the shoulders and pulled her away from the lick of the fire. "Sasuke said some girl kidnapped you."