C Ranked Mission

I walked silently down the streets of the village. I had no idea where I was going and I couldn't be bothered to take out the map. So I wandered the streets, looking out for something interesting to do.

For the first time in ... well forever, I had money. Yes, real live money weighing down my pocket. Granted it was not much but soon I knew I would be needing a purse. The past few missions, despite it being boring, was payment enough. I already set aside the money for the apartment.

I kicked a stone, thinking back on the meagre missions we were given. I was completely and utterly grateful for those missions. I would much prefer to stay inside the village and help around than head outside into the open where I was open. I had grown accustomed to the safety of this village, even if I hadn't grown accustomed to its villagers and even my own comrades.

Even using the word made me anxious. Comrades. I knew what it meant, but I had no clue what it entailed. Was I obligated to them since they were practically my saviours? Or is that a loose term thrown around here. The more I thought about it more I grew confused. And the more I cursed that awful village and its despicable government.

The night was coming down and I weighed on the option of going back home. So what if I was dressed a little better, thanks to Sakura, and had my own set of weapons for protection? Call it instincts or even genes if you like but once the sun was down and the stars came out, my body would crave sleep. Soon I won't even be able to walk straight.

But I fought against it. The nights here in Konoha were just as lively as the mornings. This was the time when everyone was returning from their missions and taking a break before retiring for a new day. I suspect I should be doing that too, you know, so as not to draw attention to myself.

Besides, being as weak as I was I couldn't even handle those simple missions I had been given, without feeling dead tired halfway through. Which was a gross contrast to the boisterous and energetic Naruto. I swear, the boy could run around the world and back and wouldn't break a sweat.

And Sakura. I've only been here a couple weeks and every single thing she has done has irritated me. I usually don't feel much emotion to anything. Yeah, it came with the territory. But her meanness towards Naruto annoyed me and the constant way she drooled over Sasuke bothered me to no end. I said nothing of the sort though. I had only just arrived.

Sasuke was a story I could not tell, because I didn't understand it. He was the most confusing things I have encountered so far. At one point I told myself I shouldn't bother to try and understand, I won't be here long anyway, why bother? But I found myself looking at him from time to time, wondering what was his deal.

It went the other way around with Kakashi. Sometimes when I felt someone's eyes on me it was Kakashi. Other times were just my well placed paranoia. Whenever he looked at me, curiously that is, I could practically hear the words going through his head.

'What was her story' 'Why is she so closed off' 'How come she has no ninja or even physical training whatsoever'

The last one was something I couldn't hide. I would even try to overexert myself, if only to keep up with Naruto, Sasuke or even Sakura. But nothing escaped Kakashi's watchful eyes, I suppose.

Speak of the devil, there he stood standing at a book stand browsing the wares.

I walked by him.

"Yo Lea," he called to me. I turned to him. He waved and smiled at me, putting down the book to head over. I almost groaned. Conversations were not my thing. He should know that by now, judging by the way I only answered him with curt replies when he spoke to me.

"We have a mission tomorrow," he said. I nodded, not sure of what he wanted me to say.

He grew serious all of a sudden. "Actually, there's something I would like to talk to you about. Walk with me." And I fell into step with him. He walked with his hands in his pockets, looking about as if he were just on a casual stroll.