A Quick Debrief

They didn't give us any time to settle in, which I hated. Apparently we had arrived a little too late so now they were rushing around, getting us up to speed. Tsunade was no joking when she said they needed help. The village was a disaster.

Buildings stood on opposite ends, rubble and dust everywhere. The ground was cracked and what little trees they had in the mountains were bent and broken out of shape. I staggered along, my eyes taking everything. The place looked worse than Konoha when Orochimaru had attacked. This was like ten times worse. The ninjas that had met us were walking ahead of us, talking but I wasn't hearing one word it. Maybe it was because I was all the way in the back, or maybe it was because I wasn't really interested in what they were saying at that moment. I was too caught up in what I saw around me.

The person who did this to me was lingering somewhere around here. My anger dissipated and fear crept back in. And so was the guy who sent her.

"...to be perfectly honest, we are still not sure who is responsible for all this," one of the ninjas in front was saying. I ran up, aware that I was falling way behind. My feet were beginning to get blisters. "All we know that it wasn't Orochimaru."

"How are you so sure?" Sasuke asked.

The ninja looked down at Sasuke as if confused as to why this little boy was speaking in big people affairs. I glared at him and so did Sasuke. How big did he think he is??? He can't look at Sasuke like that.

Finally, the ninja conceded and answered. "Based on what we know from the attack on Konoha, Orochimaru normally uses snakes, large snakes, in his attacks. There were none such snakes during this attack."

"So because there were no snakes, you just ruled out Orochimaru," Sakura said. I could tell by the tone of her voice that she wasn't buying it and I agreed. I wasn't buying it either. So what if they were no snakes? Doesn't mean it wasn't him.

The ninja didn't say anything more as we ascended the steps to the Raikage's office. I didn't dare look down, since we had come so high without me noticing and, instead, chose to settle my eyes at the back of Sasuke's head. I don't know why, but staring at him comforted me.

Just then, Sasuke turned around and looked at me. I averted my eyes quickly. Shoot! He didn't catch me staring at him, did he? I pretended to be interested in the sights around me before, cautiously, peeking back at him to see if he had looked away. He was still staring, this time with a smirk around his lips.

I looked at him with full force this time. "What?" I mouthed to him, acting as if he was the creep for staring. Sasuke wasn't buying it. He laughed silently and shrugged before turning his head forward again. I breathed a sigh of relief. What the hell was wrong with me?

At long last, I finally managed to avoid looking at Sasuke long enough for us to reach the Raikage's office. Inside, there was a man sitting on the floor, facing the window with his back turned to us.

"Killer-sama," one of the ninjas leading us said. "They've arrived."

The man in front of the window waved his hands in what looked to be dismissal. The ninjas left. Horo walked up to the man and said, "I take it you will be debriefing us further on what it is we should be doing here."

"They didn't tell you?" the man said.

"No," I spoke up. "They didn't tell us anything except that they thing that whoever made this mess wasn't Orochimaru. Which is pretty vague and simple thinking, if you ask me."

"Lea!" Horo looked down at me and held his finger up to his lips. I crossed my arms and stared at him. What? I was just telling him what happened on the way here.