Confessions of the heart

Lea's POV

That old man was going to die. And I was the one who was going to kill him.

My whole body was sore. I never pushed myself so hard before and I don't think I ever will again. All I wanted to do right now was go to sleep and never wake up. I was close to my apartment. I could already feel the soft bed comforting my sore back.

I dragged myself forward, passing a bunch of people. None of them said a word to me and I was grateful for it. I had used up so much chakra and my body was in so much pain, I don't think I would have had the energy to open my mouth to answer them.

"Yo, Lea."

It was Sasuke. At least, I think it was Sasuke. I wasn't really sure since I didn't lift my head at the greeting. Too much energy. It sounded like Sasuke though.

"Hey." His voice was nearer this time and laced with something else. I still didn't lift my head, nor did I stop walking. "Are you okay?"

I dragged my feet along, hoping that if I didn't answer he would leave me alone. No such luck however. Instead, he grabbed my arms and shook me. My head bobbed backwards.

"What's wrong with you?" he asked, frowning at me. I frowned too. Did he sound ... concerned?

"Nn ... nothing," I muttered, shaking my head slightly. "Just ... tired, that's all."

"You look like you're about to die to me," Sasuke said, but I just stared at him. I not sure if that was supposed to be a joke.

I pushed a feeble hand on his chest. "Let me go," I whispered. "I ... I need to sleep."

I was about to push him away again, but this time all my strength left me. My feet buckled and I collapsed. He caught me.

"Woah there," he said, wrapping his arms around my limp body. "Up you go."

He tucked his arm under my knee and lifted me up. I didn't protest. I couldn't. I was just too damn tired.

"What the hell were you doing?" he asked me.

It took me a while to answer. His arms were so warm and comfortable. I snuggled closer to him, resting my hand against his heart. His heartbeat was lulling me to sleep.

"Training," I answered eventually. Weird, his heartbeat was moving faster and faster...

"Damn it, Lea!" he shouted and I jerked. He sounded angry. Why was he angry? "You shouldn't be overexerting yourself like that! It's dangerous."

"I'm sorry," I whispered. I had no energy to argue. I had no energy to point out that he did that too, not so long ago. Why was his heartbeat beating so erratically? It felt as if it would beat right out of his chest.

"Promise me that next time you'll pace yourself," he said to me.

"I promise." Sasuke was getting hot. Why was he so hot? I opened my eyes and looked up at him. He was looking straight ahead and was avoiding my eyes. I know he knows that I'm looking at him.

"Sasuke?"

He swallowed. "Yeah?"

"Do you have a fever?" My voice was barely audible but I knew he heard me. "You're so hot and you're heart is beating so fast. And ... and your face is red. Sasuke you shouldn't be carrying me if you're sick."

I tried getting out of his arms but I was just too weak. Sasuke smirked.

"Even if I did have a fever, you wouldn't make it any worse. You're as light as a feather."