On Our Way Back

The darkness disappeared and we fell out the portal unto the grass.

"That feels awful oh my gosh!" Mami didn't even bother getting up from the ground. She just stretched out and rolled over to face me.

I didn't get up either. I was still reeling from that conversation in Purrsia. I sighed and rolled over to face Mami. "What was that?"

"What was what? The portal?"

"No, no. That conversation I had with Urma. That ... was that me?"

Mami rolled over on her stomach and cocked her head to the side. "What are you talking about? Of course that was you."

I frowned. "You didn't hear that? What I was saying? That didn't sound just a little off to you?"

Mami shook her head. "Of course not. You sounded just the same. Why?"

That's odd. While I was talking, I couldn't be sure if it was Masuta or me. Like, I couldn't differentiate between me and her like I usually could. This was definitely a first for me. I sighed and shook my head, still feeling too weak to get up. "Nothing, never mind. I'm sorry about all this."

"Almost getting me killed? It's fine. I'm always ready to die for you, my lady."

"Knock that out. You know I hate that."

"Calling you my lady or being ever ready to die for?"

"Both. And to be technical, you weren't dying for me. I was perfectly fine. You were dying because of me."

Mami got up and brushed the leaves off herself using her tail. "You're right. But still, if I had known that you were going to be attacked I would have done something to stop it."

"If I had known I was going to be attacked I would have done something to stop it too. That's why they call it an ambush."

"I should have been there-"

"Just shut up and take the apology. We can't go back in time and change anything but we can make up for it in the present." I felt a rush of strength run back into my limbs and I stood, pulling the leaves from my hair. Mami just looked at me, her eyes sad and angry.

"I can't wait to meet that bitch that hurt you," she hissed. "Look at what she did to your hair."

"You know I never liked my hair in the first place."

"But she had no right! I'm going to kill her! Swear on my life and our bond, as long as I'm alive I won't stop until she's dead."

Now where had I heard that one before? I smiled slightly. "You'll be alive for centuries, maybe millenniums. You'll get bored."

"I'll have you."

I looked up at her, a frown appearing on my face. "What are you talking about? I'm human."

Mami blinked at me, as if she just noticed what she had said. She averted her eyes, paying particular attention to a line of ants crawling up a tree. "O-oh, nothing," she said quickly.

I narrowed my eyes suspiciously. She was hiding something from me. I didn't know what it was and, to be perfectly honest, I wasn't sure I wanted to know. I knew too many things already. My mind was burdened with knowledge, things I felt would have been much better if I had been clueless. Like, his confession of the chip embedded in my brain. Now, my basic response is to be wary. I can't hang out with my friends anymore, I won't allow myself to get even closer to them. Not even with Sasuke...

All I could do was stand afar and try to protect them. After all, it was because of me that they even needed any protecting.

That man was a monster. A monster who held no qualms about destroying a whole village just to get what he wants. Kumogakure will be in shambles if I don't do something about it. Thing was, I had no idea when he was going to release those shadows again.