Chapter 26

Author's Note: I know I haven't updated in forever. I've had a lot going on work-wise and just haven't been motivated lately. I honestly haven't planned out the ending yet and I'm still mulling it over but I wanted to release this short chapter in the meantime. Y'all don't hate me cause it's kinda sad and all over the place.

____________________

"And you're absolutely sure this is what you want?"

You frown at Strauss over her desk. "Of course it's not what I want, but I don't see any other option. One of us is going to have to leave and I'm not letting Aaron give up his career for me."

She shakes her head. "We can find some other solution, just give me more time."

"You heard what they said. Our relationship has compromised the team and Aaron's ability to supervise without favoritism. They recommended he be demoted and switched to another department! I'm not going to let that happen. I can't."

"But a transfer to Vegas? Why don't you just switch to another department?"

"Vegas offered me an amazing opportunity. I'd be an idiot to turn it down. And switching to another department is not going to stop the rumors and the whispers and the little smirks we have to endure every time we're seen in public together at the office."

"So you're going to leave him and Jack?" She shakes her head once more.

"I don't need your judgment, Director. I get enough of that from everyone else."

The team doesn't look at me the same anymore. No one does.

"No judgment here. I think you're a very strong woman to be doing what you're doing. To walk away from the people you love, I can't imagine how you must be feeling right now."

"I feel fine. I just need you to accept my resignation so I can get on with this."

____________________

"Aaron, please. I know Vegas is far but-"

"Don't. This wouldn't be a temporary long-distance thing. You're talking about moving there permanently. We'll never see you."

"I don't see what other choices-"

"You're running. You let this stupid work stuff get you spooked and you're running from it. From me. This is just an excuse to back out again."

"That's not true! I'm thinking of you, your career! I'm trying to help."

"Then stay! Stay with me and we'll figure this out together. I don't have a solution but I know you moving to the other side of the country damn sure isn't the answer." Aaron runs a hair through his hair and glances helplessly around the room, looking lost.

"I've made up my mind."

"To run."

"Aaron."

"What do I tell Jack, Y/N? How do I explain this to him?" His voice cracks. "He's already lost a mother."

You feel your resolve start to slip. "I'll talk to him. I'll explain."

"When do you leave?"

"Sunday."

He laughs bitterly. "So soon?"

"They want me to start Monday."

"They'll be lucky to have you."

His tone stings but you reach out and take his hand. He doesn't respond but he doesn't pull away either.

"I'm sorry." Your voice is barely above a whisper. "I'm not doing this to hurt you."