Chapter 28

Author's Note: This chapter is a bit short, I'm still trying to get back into the swing of writing. I promise the next chapter will be longer. Also, this chapter has mentions of murder and sexual assault so please read at your own risk.

____________________

6 months later

"You wanted to see me, sir?"

"Have a seat, Y/L/N."

You slide into the chair in front of you and lace your fingers together in your lap.

"Tell me what's going on with this case."

"Sir, you know as much as I do. You called me on this as the killer is devolving. I'm two steps behind and trying to piece together all the information that's been left out. Frankly, your officers are in over their head and I should have been consulted much sooner."

"And you, Y/L/N? Are you in over your head?"

You hesitate for a moment. Just be honest.

"Yes sir, I am."

Your boss nods and leans back in his chair, looking satisfied with your response. "I assumed as much, and I take full responsibility for not bringing you in on this sooner. Pulling you out of internal investigations was no easy task. That being said, I have no choice but to call in reinforcements."

"Sir?"

"I've contacted the BAU. They'll be here in a few hours. I want you taking lead on this and catching them up on what we know, however little it may be."

You've learned in the past few months not to argue with your boss. You give him a curt nod and leave his office, ducking into a bathroom to splash water on your face.

The team is coming. Hotch is coming. How am I gonna get through this?

"Y/N! Yoohoo, Y/N!"

You rush out of your office and towards the familiar voice coming from the elevators.

"Penelope!"

She opens her arms and crushes you into a tight hug. "I've missed you so so much!"

"I'm so happy to see you!" You gush, not letting go of her. "I didn't know you were coming!"

"I know! I don't usually travel with the team but I wanted to surprise you."

"Consider me very surprised, and very glad you're here."

"Can someone else get a hug and a greeting now, Pen?" JJ pipes up. You turn and hug her as Derek squeezes you from behind and kisses the top of your head.

To your surprise as soon as you pull away from JJ, Spencer wraps his arms around your shoulders and tugs you towards him.

"Aw, Spence, I missed you too."

He releases you and crinkles his nose. "You haven't called me in weeks."

"I know, I'm sorry, I've been so busy with this case, and I- Emily if you don't give me a hug we're going to have serious problems."

She chuckles and obliges, kissing your cheek. "Missed ya, babe."

Hotch is lingering by the elevators, looking uncomfortable. You'd never seen him look so awkward in a professional setting and you fight the urge to giggle. Your smile falters as you look him up and down.

He looks like he's lost weight. I hope he's doing okay.

"Y/N, good to see you." He extends a hand.