Chapter 23

Author's Note: I apologize for making you wait so long for an update! I've had family and work problems but since they're not going away anytime soon I'm trying to adapt and make time to write. Hope you enjoy and love you guys!

____________________

"Y/N! Y/N! Y/N!"

"That'll be Spencer." You tell Aaron with an eye roll, crossing the room and opening the front door.

Spencer bursts in, looking wide-eyed and panicked. "Did you get a summons too?"

"Yes, Spencer. We all did. What's going on? You look freaked."

"I am freaked. I don't want to see that guy again. Can't they read a written statement from me in court?"

You and Aaron exchange glances, having a private conversation with your expressions.

What the hell is going on with him?

Aaron shrugs. Beats me. I thought he'd be happy to testify against that bastard.

"Spencer, this is no different from when you have to testify against criminals that we arrest. Alex is a criminal. He should be in jail for what he's done."

"It is different."

"How so?"

Spencer sniffles and looks down at his feet.

"Spence?"

No reply.

"Spencer." You repeat firmly.

"I thought he was my friend."

You're flabbergasted. "What?"

"I thought he was my friend. We hung out. We were buds. Then he attacks me in my apartment out of nowhere."

Oh my God. I am a terrible friend. I never realized he was so upset over this.

"Spencer, come here." You take his arm and guide him to the couch, motioning for Aaron to scoot over. "I am so so sorry that you got hurt. I know you liked Alex. I know that he pulled a dick move and it sucks. And I'm sorry we haven't really talked about it until now."

He nods but doesn't meet your eyes. "It's not that big a deal. I just didn't think I'd ever have to see him again."

You and Aaron exchange glances once more.

Can you please try to pull some strings for Spencer? See if the written statement thing will work?

I'm not a miracle worker, Y/N, and if I start calling around trying to get his summons rescinded it'll look like I'm tampering with the trial.

We've got to try something. Look at him, he's traumatized.

Aaron sighs. "Spencer, I'm going to do my best to get you out of this, okay?"

He looks at Aaron with a hopeful puppy-dog expression. "You will?"

"I'm not making any promises, but I'll see what I can do."

"Thank you. Thank you so much. I didn't know where else to turn to."

"We've always got your back, Spence." You promise, and to your surprise, he pulls you in for a quick hug.

"I appreciate you both." He rises his feet.

"Spencer, I'm here if you ever wanna talk about what happened. I just want you to know that." Aaron stands and pats his shoulder. "You can always come to me."

"Thanks again Hotch. For everything."

Aaron walks him to the door and then turns to you with a frown once he's gone.