Chapter 20

Author's Note: I just realized I never posted the Halloween chapter I wrote! Shame on me. Also, I'm once again updating from my phone, so I apologize if anything looks weird or there are any typos. This chapter is short and fluffy, not my usual style but I hope y'all still like it!
____________________
You've walked up and down the path to Aaron's doorway at least five times. You get halfway to the door, turn around, and go back to your car.
Why are you freaking out like this? It's just trick-or-treating with Aaron and his son. Yes, it's a little domestic and a little more girlfriend/boyfriend than you would prefer, but if you're gonna be in Aaron's life you've got to get used to doing family events.
You take a deep breath and head back up the walkway, finally making it to the door. You ring the bell and briefly consider fleeing back to your car, but the door flies open.
"BOO!" Jack jumps at you, showing off his fangs. "Did I scare you?"
"You sure did, bud! You make one very spooky vampire."
"I'm a werepire! Half werewolf, half vampire." He explains. "See my pointy ears?" He steps aside to let you inside.
"Very creative." You praise, ruffling his hair.
He cocks his head to the side and raises an eyebrow, looking very much like his father.
"What are you supposed to be?"
"Yes, Y/N, what are you supposed to be?" Aaron emerges from the kitchen, grinning ear-to-ear at your attire.
You sigh. You're wearing knee-high black boots, dark stockings, a pink tutu, a black t-shirt that says FBI, and a pair of hot pink wings. "I'm the FBI fairy. I lost a bet to Morgan."
Aaron and Jack howl with laughter.
"Yeah, yeah, very funny. Are we ready to go?"
"Yeah, let's go!" Jack grabs his candy bucket from the couch and sprints toward the door.
You start to follow, but Aaron snags your wrist and pulls you back to him before kissing you.
"Thank you for being here tonight."
You smile weakly. "Of course."
____________________

A few hours later, you're back at Aaron's watching Halloween movies, drifting off on his shoulder while Jack is snuggled into his other side.
"Tonight was perfect. Thank you." Aaron whispers, kissing the top of your head.
"I had a good time." You smile sleepily.
"I should probably get him to his bed while he's still in a chocolate coma."
"He looks so comfortable, let the baby sleep." You murmur, reaching over and touching Jack's cheek. He sighs contentedly in his sleep and nestles closer to Aaron.
You can't see Aaron's face but you feel his smile radiating down on the both of you.
"I'm so glad you two get along."
You shrug and sit up, stretching your arms over your head. "He's a nice kid."
"He really likes you. It's important to me that Jack likes who I'm seeing."
"Does he know you asked me to marry you?"
"He does. He thinks it's a good idea."
Well that makes one of us.
"He barely knows me. I'd suck at being a mom."
Aaron frowns. "Maybe not. You're really good with him."
"I try. I find myself wanting him to like me. It's weird, craving approval from a child."
He chuckles. "You never need approval from anyone else. You don't care what others think. Little stubborn ass."
"Oh, so we're gonna fight now?" You pinch his side and he yelps. "Shh, don't you dare wake him up."
"Let me put him to bed and I'll be back to settle this." He warns, easing away from Jack before scooping him up and carrying him to his room. You follow behind, pulling Jack's covers back and helping Aaron slide off his shoes and socks.
He stirs and opens his eyes halfway.
"Night buddy." Aaron whispers. "Go back to sleep."
"Night Dad, 'night Mom." He murmurs before rolling towards the wall.
Your eyes snap up to Aaron's face. His expression is unreadable but you know you personally look like a deer caught in headlights.
You tuck the covers around Jack and both tiptoe from his room, Aaron taking a moment to cut on the nightlight by his door.
Out in the hall, Aaron sighs and rubs his face.
"Are you okay?" You rub his shoulder soothingly.
He stays quiet for a minute or two, his hands still covering his face. Finally, he looks down at you, tears in his eyes.
"He called you mom."
"I know. I'm so sorry Aaron, I can't imagine how painful that must have been for you."
He nods slightly, not saying anything.
"Maybe...maybe I should stop coming around as much? Put some distance between Jack and myself. He needs to know that I'm not trying to replace his mother."
"I think it would hurt him to see you less."
"Well, maybe it was just because he was sleeping. He might not even realize what he said. I mean, I've only hung out with him a handful of times. It's crazy to think he sees me as a mother figure."
"You've taken care of him when he was sick. You've come around on holidays now. I told him I want to marry you. It makes sense that he would see you as a mother figure, Y/N."
"Okay." You say softly. "So I'm a mother figure."
He studies your expression. "You're okay with that?"
"I'm nervous. It kind of terrifies me. I'm not motherly. I'm nowhere near ready to be a mom."
He sighs, running a hand through his hair.
"But," you continue, "I know that I'd die for that kid if I had to and I would never do anything to hurt him. That's a big part of being a mom, or so I've heard from JJ. So yeah, Aaron, I'm okay with that."
"I love you." He launches himself at you and kisses you fiercely, his arms locking around your back as he lifts you off your feet.
You kiss him back eagerly. He carries you down the hall to his room, shutting the door with his foot, and deposits you on the bed, tugging at your boots.
"Aaron, we can't have sex. What if we wake Jack?"
He grins and tugs down your stockings and panties. "We'll just have to be extra quiet."
"No way." You push at his shoulders. "I'm not risking it."
"Y/N, what happens if we get married and you move in here? Are we never going to have sex again?"
"He'll have sleepovers and I'm sure Jessica will still keep him overnight on occasion."
He buries his face in your stomach. "You're killing me."
You tug off your tutu and pull your panties back up, rolling away from him. "Good night, Aaron."
He snuggles up against your back. "I can't believe you're turning me down. Is this a glimpse of what married life will be like?"
"I haven't said yes yet." You retort.
He kisses your shoulder. "Yet."
"Hmm?"
"You said you haven't said yes, yet."
You roll your eyes. "Good night!"
"Good night."