M: Stroke of Midnight

AN: Super very sorry for the long wait but thank you for sticking with me~

*****

"Hey hey, Yibai!" Yang Ru smiled down at her best friend, not bothering to ask about why he looked so tired. "Have heard the rumor?"

"Rumor?" He echoed, blinking tiredly as he looked up from his folded arms. "Why should I care?"

"Why?! Why indeed!" She cried, looking aghast. "Who doesn't want to know besides you? It's about the Cinderella at Hualin hotel?"

Unseen by her, Jun Yibai flinched.

"Cinder...ella?"

Yang Ru shrugged. "Well, it's a guy but the story is still the same, right?"

"I think it would be quite different." He tried interjecting but was soundly ignored by the girl.

"Anyway, turns out some 'plebeian' had managed to draw the eye of not one but two princes." She grinned, looking like a hungry cat seeking a meal. "It's very juicy gossip."

Yibai choked. "T-Two princes?"

"En, I can't say what their identities are but they are definitely high up there."

...Shit.

Had he made another mistake?

***

Had Yibai known how the evening would pan out, he would have made an excuse to get out of going to his father's meeting. It would have been worth the hour-long lecture.

Unfortunately for him and fortunately for a certain duo, he did indeed go to the Hualin hotel.

***

The first hurdle of the evening happened to be the most mundane.

Getting in.

Before his eyes, Yibai stared up at the guard that was twice his size and oozed intimidation, making the young man reluctant to look at him. But look at him he did, because they were holding quite the conversation.

"I told you. I'm attending a meeting hosted here."

"Yeah? So where is your pass?"

He flinched, peeking around the lobby in which they stood in. Just outside, there were limos and expensive cars. Flashing lights of cameras illuminated the night, showing off just how sought after the people around were. It was clear that some kind of event was going on. They couldn't just let in anyone who came off the streets when there were so many important people around.

He'd even heard whispers of a royal showing up tonight.

Yet he forgot his pass at home, like an idiot.

With reluctance, he replied. "I... I don't have one."

"Then I can't let you in." The guard shot back, his gaze intensifying. "Now leave."

"But-"

His words were cut off as the guard spun him around and pushed him toward the side exit. The push was probably gentle but it still knocked the breath out of Yibai.

He was big for his age, so perhaps the man thought he'd be fine.

He only half was.

As he tried to catch his breath, the guard looked down at him with a questioning look.

"If you want to get into a place like this, be more mindful of your appearance." He said, shaking his head. "Even with a pass, I feel bad for those who see you."