U: Nothing Gained

AN: Random factoid about this story. In my original outline, Jun Yibai would have met Chen Guiren in high school rather than in middle school. I changed things up cause it felt strange to have a middle school arc where nothing really happened.

The full scenario will probably be an extra chapter.

*****

Much to his chagrin, a lot was lost that night and he had only learned what days later.

***

Classes started without a hitch. At least up until he was asked to talk to the professors in private. All of them.

His professors didn't have high hopes for him but were very patronizingly proud of him for succeeding. As if he'd done a neat trick.

They truly didn't hold him in that high of a regard, seeing his accomplishment as a fluke.

Jun Yibai clenched his fist as he accepted their words with a nod.

What fluke?! Did he not study and work hard to make it to the top? Was the fact he had to work for his success a drawback?

It was frustrating, seeing even strangers try and push him into mediocrity. It was probably just them being kind, to ease him down for when the inevitable happened and he was pushed back by some alphas.

For when everyone was back in their proper place in the hierarchy.

"If I wanted to hear that kind of bullshit, I would have stayed home with dad." He later grumbled to himself as he stormed through the hallway. The corridor was fairly sparse so Jun Yibai could be openly frustrated and still be ignored.

He was big but nothing special so most barely gave him a glance as they passed him by.

All but one.

"Hey, Jun Yibai!" A familiarly jovial voice called out, jogging over. He looked a bit tired from the night before but that was to be expected.

"Hanyu."

The omega leaned in, draping an arm over his shoulder in a friendly semi-hug.

"About last night." He pressed on, looking a bit disgruntled. Jun Yibai frowned, wondering what he remembered from last night. Did he too have some suspicions about his 'friend'?

"What did you say to my girlfriend?"

"Say?" He echoed, blinking at him in confusion. His girlfriend had come and picked him up last night without any fanfare, so it was only a minute of interaction. They didn't say a word to each other. They merely glanced at one another and gave the most proper introvert greeting.

A nod in acknowledgment.

Barely perceptible to the naked eye but one that all introverts knew well.

"Yeah, she was telling me this morning about what a nice guy you are." He grumbled, crossing his arms. "Here I am, suffering from a hangover and all she wants to tell me is how she likes you better than my other friends." He continued on humble bragging as the situation became clear.

Ah, that's what this was about.

So his girlfriend was suspicious of Li Min too.

In the light of day, Jun Yibai had wondered if he'd been too wary last night. While she was being weirdly pushy about him leaving, that wasn't necessarily proof that she had ill intentions.

In fact, there was no proof other than his instincts as a man.

Now, it would seem Hanyu's girlfriend had similar thoughts. Hanyu, on the other hand, seemed unaware, talking about the girl casually.