U: Best Methods

AN: Thank you for the wait. It honestly didn't occur to me that you guys actually expect updates monthly now. That is... a thing to learn. Sorry~

Anywho, after a lot of construction and rewriting, I present my update. Enjoy~ Also a little treat for ya and the end.

*****

Waking up is a strange mix of gradual awareness and sudden alertness. The line between sleep and being awake is so nebulous that it's hard to fathom where one ends and the other begins. And even when the person is aware of that moment, it fades away as other thoughts push that away.

That sense of peace and silence when one wakes up on their own... was not what Jun Yibai woke up to.

No, that moment of peace was broken by voices he could only barely comprehend.

"-kind of friend am I?!"

The voice was tinged with concern and anger, though it was hard to say who it was for. Jun Yibai, barely awake as is, couldn't put much thought into such a thing. He was more concerned about where he was.

This was an unfamiliar place it seemed.

For one thing, the ceiling was white.

It wasn't the off-white color he was used to waking up to at his dorm. Nor the mild piss-colored white ceiling of his work dorm. No, this was that pure kind of white color that made one's eyes hurt when the lights were on. The one that made it feel like needles were being pressed into the back of one's eyes just looking at it.

It was that sterile white that one only really saw at hospitals.

His misty thoughts were confirmed as a second voice cut through the panicked one.

"Your friend, it seems, was quite lucky this time around." A calmer, more level voice said, bringing the frenzied energy in the room down a bit. "Left alone much longer and there might have been deleterious side effects."

"But he's fine now?" The voice asked, sounding a bit more calm than before.

"Once he wakes up, he will be fine. A bit weak but the IV should keep him regulated."

Regulated? Who were they talking about?

Surely not him. He was fine. Tired and feeling a bit tingly in the limbs but he wasn't weakened. If anything, he felt eager to move.

He had responsibilities after all. To school. To his friends. To Chen Guiren, who he was sure helped him out last-

"..."

W-wait, had Chen Guiren helped him out? He... he definitely recalled seeing the alpha, puking his guts out, and then... the car but surely that wasn't what really happened! Right?

Right?!

Because if it wasn't just a drunken delirium brought about by stress and liquor then he'd really...

"Ugh." He groaned, regretting his choice to try and sit up from bed. The simple action that he did every day had punished him for his hubris.

His head was throbbing and his tingling limbs were now a stinging buzz that made him want to curl up and die.

Or perhaps it was the humiliation of realizing that he had, indeed, done all kinds of stuff with Chen Guiren of all people.

Worse, he said...

He called that guy...

"Damn it!"

"Yibai!"

The curtain that had somehow seemed to appear in his vision parted, revealing a pair of faces. One he recognized and the other, he didn't. It was a doctor, stern-looking and older, giving off an air of authority.