C: Presenting

Jun Yibai chose to wait for Suren in his local park, B-city park. It probably wasn't the best place for a child to wait but better than being on the road. If he stood there, a police officer could spot him, and then there would be issues.

Being at the park when it was dark was a surreal experience. During the day, it was bright and gave off a positive feeling of joy and laughter. At night, it was quiet and made one wonder what monsters might be lurking in the dark.

Jun Yibai was scared but remained where he was. There was no point in panicking. If there was a monster, he probably couldn't outrun it, and being scared wouldn't help him.

Even though he knew this, he felt jittery and jumped when he heard something come from the bushes.

Some distance from the bench he sat on, the child saw three figures emerge from the trees. He had wanted to hide but was quickly noticed by the trio. He looked away as they approached.

"Eh?" One man said as he stared down at the child. "What's this kid doing here?"

"Does it matter?" Another one snapped, grabbing the first man's arm. "Let's just go before someone notices us."

Jun Yibai, at that moment, realized he might have made a mistake waiting here. These guys might have been doing something suspicious if they worried about being noticed.

He clenched his fists, hoping they would just leave.

"What about the kid?"

"What about him?" The second guy retorted. "He has nothing to do with us."

"But..."

"Dude, leave it! Look, he isn't even looking at us." The man leaned in, the smell of alcohol heavy on his breath. Jun Yibai didn't flinch, remain as still as possible. "He's smart and knows what to see and not see. So there's no point bothering the kid."

"Fine." The first man grumbled, moving away.

Watching the feet disappear, Jun Yibai let out a breath, relieved he hadn't gotten involved in something strange. While he did wonder what they had been doing, he knew better than to look into it any further.

He'd read way too many books that had characters act on such impulses only to end up dead.

Thinking the men had left, he lifted his head to look around. The park was still the same. Dark, quiet, and creepy. Yet his heart leaped into his chest when he saw that the trio had only reached the park entrance. He still could make them out but when he saw that one man was staring back at him, he froze.

All he recalled was a pair of bright blue eyes staring back at him before he looked away, slamming his eyes closed.

He saw nothing! There was no one there. He chanted this mantra in his head, too scared to open his eyes again even when the park grew quiet again.

***

He wasn't sure how long he'd kept his eyes closed but he found himself being shaken awake, a soft but familiar voice calling out to him.

"Bai!? Bai, wake up!" Suren sobbed, nearly tugging the other child off the bench.

Jun Yibai was a pretty light sleeper so if it wasn't the sobbing that woke him up, it would have certainly been the tugging. He quickly woke up but was pulled from the bench just as quickly. The two boys fell back, one cushioning the others fall.

As the cushion, in this case, Jun Yibai felt the desire to snap at Suren but stopped when the boy wrapped his arms around him.

"Bai, I was so worried about you~" He sobbed.