U: Party

Lights flashed and glimmered as a limousine rolled to a stop in front of the grand manor. The air was abuzz with excitement and energy.

Energy that only one of the two occupants of said limo was feeling.

Jun Yibai had been dragged out of his class that afternoon by Song Yang to get ready for the party/event he'd mentioned before. He supposed he should be grateful that the usually inconsiderate man had bothered to let him choose his suit. It was a plus but he couldn't feel happy just then.

He was in a bit of a mood and it showed.

Song Yang, on the other hand, was practically shaking with nervous energy.

"I really didn't think we'd be this late for the party!" He grumbled, tapping his foot nervously. "It won't look good for us to show up now but..."

Song Yang was clearly freaking out but Jun Yibai didn't bother to comfort him. His mood shifted fast so it wouldn't take long to-

"That's why we have to make sure we make the best impression we can from the get-go!" He concluded, clenching his fist.

And like that, he's good.

Jun Yibai looked out at the crowd, noting how many famous people he was seeing. Quite a few celebrities but mostly as dates for the CEO's and magnates that graced the covers of magazines.

It was... a bit intimidating.

Jun Yibai was a nobody who was about rub shoulders with the top of society. His future success was predicated on how good an impression he'd be making tonight.

He let out a shaky breath, calming himself.

"Hey, our turn is coming up." Song Yang warned, smacking his shoulder to get his attention. "I need you to not embarrass me tonight, okay?"

This guy!

"Is this the way you should be talking when someone is doing you a favor?" He countered, watching the man flinch. "Recall who came to me about this event and who really needs who here."

Jun Yibai definitely needed Song Yang more than the other way around but why reveal that? Luckily, the beta was too stressed to remember that part and submitted to Jun Yibai without a peep.

The pair walked into the mansion, the walls glittering with expensive shit that Jun Yibai couldn't help but grimace at.

As I thought. This is still uncomfortable.

He walked carefully, feeling like he was walking on ice as he glanced at all the items around him. His mild interest in history, mostly out of a desire to beat Li Suren on a test, made him aware of the significance of some of the items around him.

The cost was immeasurable!

Yet all the other guests walked by them like they were bargain bin items.

"Oi, don't stare." Song Yang warned, leaning over to whisper. "It shows weakness."

"How can I not stare? These are historical art." He whispered back, following the man's lead. "They should be in a museum not lining a hallway."

"The Li clan is old blood so they have a lot of museum-worthy items." He shrugged, passing by more precious heirlooms. "They donate their possessions every couple of years though most people on our level have seen them hundreds of times. It's only an event for those who never see any of their houses."

Houses? Like, plural?! So all their houses have these kinds of treasures?!

So he'd have to be extra careful lest his luck lands him in a whole fuck ton of trouble.