Chapter 3

You met with Hajime every day for lunch, successfully bringing him a second lunch from your cafeteria. The two of you talked much easier than before, learning more and more about each other. You laughed, ate, and cherished the time spent with each other. 

  You sped into the 1-A classroom midday Friday. Hajime was anticipating you eagerly. 

  "Hey, how are you?" You turned your designated chair to face Hajime and sat down, taking out the two bento boxes you brought. 

  "I'm doing good. We're past all the pleasantries at the beginning of the year, so now we've got actual coursework to do. It's getting difficult." 

  "Same here. Balancing schoolwork and commissions is a pain." You also retrieved two sets of packaged chopsticks, extending one to give to Hajime.

  His fingers grasped it, accidentally lightly touching yours. Nothing was said about it as you released your hold quickly. 

  "Well, thank you for the food." Hajime put his hands together for a few moments before breaking apart his chopsticks and digging in. 

  You did the same, arranging your rice into small clumps to pick up. 

  "Well, who're you?" A voice from behind caught your attention. You turned to see a female student, a Reserve Course student. You didn't recognize her, but she was immediately looking down on you with scorn. 

  "I-I'm sorry?" You stuttered. You heard a small sigh of annoyance from Hajime. 

  "You're not in the Reserve Course, are you. You an Ultimate?" Her tone never faltered from one of disgust. 

  "Um, yeah. I am." Your instant reaction to her tone was a feeling of sheepish embarrassment. 

  "Natsumi, back off. It's fine." Hajime leaned back in his seat, eyeing the girl. 

  "A nobody like you's got no room to talk. This is a conversation between Ultimates."

  "You're an Ultimate? I don't recognize you." Your comment was intended as an observation, but she took it as an insult. 

  "I'm not an Ultimate yet, dumbass. It's only a matter of time before the Main Course recognizes me, though." 

  "Right." You took her words with a grain of salt. "What Ultimate-worthy talent do you have?"

  "I'm going to be the Ultimate Little Sister." She smiled, placing her hands on your shared desk with Hajime. "You're probably in my brother's class, right? He's Fuyuhiko." 

  "Yeah, I know him. I didn't know he had a sister." 

  "He certainly does. The moment there's an opening in your class, intentionally or not, you better believe I'm going to fill it." 

  "Intentionally? What are you going to do?" You didn't put it past the sister of a yakuza to resort to drastic measures.

  "Just quit it, Natsumi. They're not going to accept you." Hajime straightened his posture, looking upon Natsumi with stern eyes. 

  "At least I'm trying I to reach my dreams instead of staying in this pigpen like you. You wouldn't understand what it's like to truly be determined, deadbeat." Natsumi's volume raised considerable as she hissed at your friend. Hajime remained seated but showed no signs of retreat. She didn't intimidate him. 

  "Don't threaten the Main Course students. Just because you're in a yakuza family doesn't mean you have power over everyone. At this rate, you'll end up getting yourself and maybe your brother expelled." Hajime gave her a harsh warning.