Chapter 19

Evening was setting in and the sun was hidden behind the skyscrapers of Tokyo. A cold breeze bit at your skin and you clenched your fists to keep from loosing circulation in your fingertips. 

   You silently followed Nagito through the campus. From behind you couldn't see his expression and was left to your own thoughts to decipher what was going on in his head. 

  Is he enjoying this? I can never tell. He knows how reluctant I am to listen to him. 

  Who am I kidding, he's a sadist. He's relishing every moment. 

  "Where are we going?" You looked up at the buildings around you. Far from the Reserve and Main Course buildings, Nagito was leading you to a different part of the school. 

  "You'll see." His long jacket swayed as he stepped silently on the stone path.

  "Of course," you sighed. Ahead of you was the new Main Course building: a sleek upgrade from its sister, and one that almost doubled in size. You'd never been inside, taking little interest in the comings and goings of your upperclassmen. It wasn't off limits, though.

  "Nagito, a little explanation wouldn't hurt." You jogged a little to catch up and walk alongside him, gauging his expression.

  "On the contrary, things like this are better shown than explained." He arrived at the glass doors and held one open for you. Inside, the air was warmer, though a little sterile. Dimmed ceiling lights illuminated minimalist hallways composed of cool, neutral palettes. Across from the entry doors was an elevator, which was apparently Nagito's destination.

  "Come on," he called softly, pressing the call button. 

  "Have you been in here before?" you asked.

  He smiled. "Once or twice."

  "I'm starting to wonder if this is really worth it, Nagito. I don't even know if I can trust you."

  "I'm your classmate. Why wouldn't you trust me? Aren't we supposed to work together in harmony?" He glanced over at you. 

  "You framed both Hajime and me. Trust tends to get lost after events like that."

  "I understand." He turned back. "Don't forget why I admitted to the crime, though. I would never do anything to hurt you."

  "But you'd hurt Hajime. That's enough cause for distrust."

  "I promise you right now: whatever's going on with Hajime has nothing to do with me." The elevator arrived, its smooth doors gliding open for you. 

  "Unfortunately, that doesn't make me feel any better." You stepped inside, Nagito following. 

  If anything could make Nagito's uncomfortable and slightly threatening presence worse, it was would be the confines of a small elevator. You realized you hadn't unclenched your fists and made an effort to do so in the moment. Out of the twenty floors, Nagito selected the nineteenth. Great. A long elevator trip, too.

  "You know, that look of worry hasn't left your face all evening."

  "Astute observation, Nagito. Did you want to add anything else?" you snapped. 

  "There's no need to be so anxious. Everything is under control."

  "I'm not putting faith in you. I have to see for myself."

  "Wise. Hajime should be honored that someone cares about him so much. An Ultimate, no less."

  Not this again. "I don't want to hear about it."