Chapter 13

In the trophy room, you and your crew finalized plans while Sonia was finishing her presentation. 

  "I'm sorry these costumes are so arduous. I appreciate the help." You surrounded yourself with Hajime's outfits.

  "It's no problem at all. We can handle it." One crewmember, perhaps a foreman, replied to you before delegating specific tasks to the others. Drapes were thrown over the outfits, either to protect them or to keep them a surprise to the audience. The mini tent was set to go, requiring only a few steps to fully erect. Nothing was left but to wait.

  "You ready?" you asked Hajime.

  "Of course!" He faced the gym doors, nodding assuredly. "I won't disappoint you."

  "There's no way you could disappoint me." You were telling the truth. During your rehearsals, Hajime didn't seem to have any issue with showmanship and confidence. It was unexpected, but fortunate. 

  "Are you ready?" Hajime failed to look away from his gaze on the door, indicating a small hint of nervousness.

  "I think so. I feel ready enough. Just a bit nervous; a lot is riding on this."

  "I understand, I would be too. Still, just one look at those outfits would be a win in my book. Your work is spectacular."

  "Well, thank you." You fidgeted silently. 

  "I'm here." Fuyuhiko stepped into the room, looking over the man he was to assist.

  "Thank you so much for coming, Fuyuhiko. I really appreciate it." You bowed in gratitude.

  "You're the...gangster?" Hajime asked warily.

  Fuyuhiko chuckled. "Yes, I'm the fucking gangster. Pleased to meet you."

  "It's good to meet you, too." They shook hands prudently. 

  "So, you sewed a coupl'a ghosts? Hoping to woo the judges with the paranormal?" Fuyuhiko eyed the sheets covering the dress forms.

  "Knock it off. You'll see the outfits when its time. Just wait a bit longer."

  "Tch. If you say so."

  The air was tense. The only sound was the muffled presentation inside the gymnasium and small conversation among your crew members, creating an unsettling white noise that reminded you of your upcoming exam. Intrusive thoughts pervaded your head, sparking anxiety and discomfort. Should I have worn something nicer? All I wore is my school uniform. Maybe I should've put something on myself too. No, no point worrying about that. It's all on Hajime. 

  Maybe I should have made him more outfits. Is five enough? I should've made more. Maybe they should have been nicer. Could I have made them better?

  "Are you sure you're okay?" Hajime's voice pierced your thoughts.

  "Yeah, of course."

  "Don't lie to me. Are you okay?"

  "Just nervous, I guess."

  "Your work is spectacular. How many times do you need me to say it?" Hajime finally faced you, placing his sturdy hands on your shoulders. It was comforting, that small gesture he did. "That's not just my bias talking: I'm being serious. Those works will impress everyone. You didn't get into this academy for subpar work, and you're certainly not going to lose your enrollment here. Do you believe me?"

  "...Yes."

  "Do you believe me?"

  "Yes."