Chapter 15

The Monday following exams, classes began again with Chisa discussing the aftermath of the presentations.

  "You all did splendidly! The judges have feedback for all of you, but overall: you all passed! I'm so proud of you guys. I'm very honored to call you my students."

  Joyful expressions swept the room while Chisa handed out individualized reports.

  "Ms. Yukizome, I have to ask..." Kazuichi started.

  "What is it?" Chisa responded while she paced around the classroom.

  "What was with that thing at the end? Where they lined us up and asked questions? Do you know what that was about?"

  Yeah, we never really got more information over the weekend. I couldn't discern anything else. 

  "I'm afraid not," Chisa bemoaned. "I tried to look into it, and..." She went to the front of the classroom, preparing to delve into the subject. "When I approached Mr. Kirigiri about it, he asked if I would be open with my students about what he had to tell me. I said I would, and he refused to talk further. I couldn't get anything out of him." 

  "Whaaaat? So he doesn't want us knowing specifically? Is that it?" Kazuichi groaned.

  "Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. Kirigiri would be transparent if he could. Whatever he's keeping from us, it's probably for the good of someone or something. I want to have faith in him." Chisa took no shame in supporting both sides of the conflict, trying to get her students to view the issue from a different angle. 

  What is there to protect? The school's reputation? If it's something so sinister, what would it have to do with a few students of Class 77?

  Class began, back into the regular routine. Hajime asked to meet after class, an invitation you had never turned down.

  "We should get coffee. Do you like coffee?" Hajime met you at the gate of the academy. 

  "I do. Do you know any good cafes around here?"

  "Yeah. There's one that's walkable. I'll take you."

  The secluded cafe was tucked between towering skyscrapers, a child of a building compared to its neighbors. The interior was cramped, but cozy. 

  "Mocha frappe, please." Hajime went first. You scanned the menu while he ordered, eyeing the seasonal summer drinks to "beat the heat", or whatever. 

  "Whipped cream?" The barista typed into her digital register.

  "Yeah, thanks."

  "And for you?" It was your turn. 

  "Um, an iced vanilla latte." 

  "Regular milk okay?"

  "Yeah." 

  "Great. Anything else?"

  Hajime took the reins again. "That'll be all."

  "Alright." She rang up the total.

  "I got it," you said, reaching for your backpack.

  "Nope." Hajime swatted your hand away. "If I offered, I'm paying. It's the law."

  "The law? I didn't know you made the law." You stepped down. 

  "In this relationship, I do." Hajime paid, then escorted you to a small window-side table. Relationship? Relationship?! Gah, no need to overreacted. Relax.