Chapter 14

Once Hajime was back in his own attire, you returned to the gymnasium to watch the rest of the exams. The gym floor had become littered with bodies of soldiers, presumably Peko's doing. 

  "They're not dead, right?" Hajime whispered.

  "Look, I know we put a lot of effort into these exams, but I doubt Peko would kill someone just to pass." You moved to your still vacant seat in the audience. 

  Backing your claim, several of the soldiers clumsily rose to their feet and left the room as Peko concluded her presentation.  

  "Gundham Tanaka." The loudspeaker spoke. 

  As the human army left the gym, they were swiftly replaced with an animal army, stampeding in and surrounding their master, your classmate. 

  "Cower, mortals! Bask in the presence of Supreme Overlord Gundham Tanaka!"

  "Here we go," you mumbled.

  "My warriors are fierce! They conquer lands that the strongest fighters would not dare tread upon! Come forth, army of darkness!"

  His animals roared and screeched on cue, a beautiful demonstration of his ability to train. 

  This display continued, with Noah's Ark moving and bending to Gundham's whim. It was an enjoyable show, with animals going into the audience and interacting with different spectators. He concluded, flamboyantly and fashionably, then left the gym to attend to his zoo. 

  Your next classmate, the Ultimate Musician, sparked a bit of anxiety as she approached the stage. She was notorious for her...less-than-stellar music, spreading rumors and concerns about why she was enrolled in the first place. Her band was what got her in, everyone said. But she didn't have her band now. Can Ibuki pull this off?

  She gave her short intro, then prepped her guitar and the speaker attached to it. You tensed, bracing for the incoming music (if it could even be called that). 

  A gentle chord reverberated through the room, deep and electric and harmonious. This chord was followed by a slow melody, contrasting Ibuki's usual style. No lyrics, only low, soft notes. It wouldn't seem as though the elegant piece would perform well on an electric guitar, but somehow, it did. It was calming and soothing, a true surprise to those who know Ibuki.

  Her next song was more within her style, with rock chords and riffs that felt more familiar. It wasn't painful, though. Ibuki's work on the guitar was incredible, with fingers moving at the speed of light creating flawless melodies. She didn't sing here, either.

  The last piece was an upbeat funky jazz piece, with occasional scatting on Ibuki's part. She hyped up the audience while picking a groovy rhythm. The audience was moving and dancing to her music, caught in a delirium of joy. 

  Minutes of this fantasy passed, and she concluded her presentation.

  Good for her. I wonder how she chose to change her style.

  It took several minutes for Akane's crew to set up the gymnastic equipment, mostly because she kept insisting on doing it herself. A few bars were her only equipment, but she seemed more than satisfied with them. 

  "Hey hey! My name's Akane Owari. I'm the Ultimate Gymnast. I'm here to do a routine, though I'm not quite sure what I'm doin'."

  Of course not. She never plans a routine. This lack of preparation was further emphasized by her outfit: no leotard or bodysuit, just her regular everyday clothes.