Chapter 6

Still stuck to your bed, you tried to think of why a majority of your classmates were sick. Wanting to see how many were affected, you texted all of them.

  "Are you feeling sick? Everybody seems to be feeling terrible this morning," was the general message you sent. After just a few minutes, almost everyone replied, agreeing that they could hardly move or that they didn't feel well. Even Hiyoko said she was much worse than she had been earlier in the week.

  This is insane. Is it strep? Did we all catch it from Hiyoko?

  Suddenly, the doorbell to your dorm rang. Dammit, I have to go get it. 

  You forced yourself out of bed, struggling to stand on wobbly legs. You tumbled to the nearest wall for support, then pushed yourself to the door. You didn't see anybody through the peephole. Nobody's there? You turned the handle.

  The door opened easily with the weight of somebody leaning on the other side. Mikan fell into your room, looking just as sickly as you. You fell to the ground, sitting up and reaching for the nurse. 

  "Mikan?" You tried to help her up, but your lack of strength proved useless. 

  "(y/n)!" Her weak voice called out. She pushed herself up, leaning against the open door. "I s-saw your t-text. Did you ask everyone that? A-are they all sick?" 

  "Yeah, it seems that way." You panted, keeping your eyes shut. 

  "This is t-terrible. All my classmates, all of us..." Mikan trembled as much as her exhausted muscles would allow. "D-did I do something wrong? Why are we all l-like this?" 

  "I dunno. But whatever it is, it's not your fault. You'd never do something to hurt us, nor would you make a mistake." 

  "W-we have to take care of everyone, b-but..."

  "We can hardly get up, Mikan. We have to find somebody to help." 

  "I would tell M-ms. Yukizome, but I don't have her number. She's p-probably in the classroom."

  "Yeah." Surely she'll notice we're not in class. School starts in half an hour, so if we just wait until then...

  "Can we wait until 8 AM? Ms. Yukizome will notice we're missing."

  "If th-this is something serious, we can't wait that long. M-my current symptoms are nothing like streptococcal pharyngitis, so I don't think that's it. It'll be worse the longer we wait." 

  "What should we do? We won't get anywhere like this. We can hardly move." 

  "We just n-need one person to alert staff. If there's anybody w-we know..." Mikan's voice grew thinner.

  I'll try Hajime. He's the only one.

  "I'll call someone. Wait here." You dragged yourself back to your bed, grasping for your phone. Holding it, you found Hajime's contact and called right away.

  After a few rings, he picked up.

  "Hello? (y/n)?"

  "Hajime." You breathed. "Hajime, I need help."

  "What's happened? What's going on?" Hajime was immediately concerned at the sound of your voice. 

  "I'm okay, it's nothing serious. I just need you to contact faculty. Tell them to come to the Main Course dorms in the old building. That's all."

  "I'm on it." Hajime didn't hesitate. You heard hurried footsteps on the other end. 

  "Thank you so much." You slouched against your bed, smiling.