Chapter 18

"Class, we're approaching the end of our first term." Ms. Yukizome toddled down the aisles between your seats. You gazed out the window, inspecting the sill and the world beyond it. Ms. Yukizome must have cleaned during the weekend. That windowsill is spotless. 

  "Classes will end on August 20th, then you'll have two weeks of break before we start up again on September 6th."

  Geez, only two weeks? We got a month of free time in middle school. 

  "Housing will remain open during those two weeks if you wish to stay on campus."

  Might as well. Home is too far and, frankly, too boring. 

  "Any questions?" Chisa asked from the window side of the classroom. Nobody said anything. 

  I don't even know what I'll do over those two weeks. I feel like I already had my vacation.

  After classes, you found Hajime at the doors of the academy. He had responded to your text earlier asking if he wanted to come over. 

  "Come on." You ushered him inside, back to your dorm.

  "How were classes?" Hajime shut your door and slinked across the room onto your bed. You sat next to him, hugging your knees.

  "Fine. Uneventful." Seeing Hajime again reminded you of Nagito's words, and you couldn't help but feel a smidge of paranoia regarding Hajime. I shouldn't doubt him. "How about you?"

  "Oh, you know, the same. We've got finals next week."

  Strange, Ms. Yukizome didn't mention finals. I wonder if we have any.

  "Is everything still okay?" The question came from nowhere and you scolded yourself for asking it.

  "Of course it is." His voice dropped. "Why do you ask?"

  "I don't know. I'm just...hearing things, I guess."

  "Hearing things? Are you developing schizophrenia?" Hajime smiled.

  "No, no. Not like that. Just things...around campus."

  "Like what?"

  "Well..." You scanned your brain for the fragments of rumors surrounding Hajime, discovering most of them came from Nagito. "Nothing, really." 

  "Nothing? So you're going deaf?"

  "Hajime, quit messing with me!" You lightly pushed into him, eliciting laughter. "I'm serious. I don't know how to explain it, but I wanna make sure everything is...right." 

  His expression softened and he looked away. "Yeah, everything is right."

  "Hajime." Your tone screamed doubt. 

  "Just a lot of complicated stuff." He finally let something slip. 

  "Like?"

  "Well-" Hajime stopped his sentence, cut off by the muted vibration of his phone. He reached inside his blazer to pull it out, reading the notification of an incoming call. Accidentally overlooking, you noticed it was an unsaved number. "I have to take this. I'm sorry." He stood and left the room hurriedly. 

  Huh? You sat alone on your bed, staring at the door Hajime just exited through. That was rushed. What's happening? Your eyes stayed fixed on the door, waiting for him to return. 

  A minute passed. You hadn't moved, finding yourself frozen in place. A concern for Hajime's absence was beginning to override your respect of his privacy. Where is he? You stood, operating with as little movement as possible. Once again a statue, you debated going to the door, running to the door just to make sure Hajime was on the other side. He's probably just talking to his parents or something. Your head turned and your eyes shot down to your phone on the bed. You reached out a hand and tapped the screen, silently checking to see if he had texted you. He hadn't.