Chapter 11

The school year continued on. Weeks passed, midterms came and went, and you carried on your mundane life. It was mid-June, another low point in the school year. 

  You listened to the buzzing of insects outside the open windows, windows that were failing to bring down the blazing temperature. Your classmates were seated and waiting for Chisa, drowsy from the heat. 

  "Good morning everyone!" Months of repetitive schooling had no effect on Chisa's chirpy attitude. She strode to the center of the blackboards and surveyed the class, as she did every morning. A few students replied to her, but most were already waiting for the period to be over. 

  "We've got some announcements today. Look forward to them." Chisa turned to the board and began scribbling words. "Practice exams. They're coming up in exactly a month, on the 23rd of July." She turned back to the class, the title of what she just explained behind her. "These take place once a year, right before the end of the first term. They're based purely on your specific talent, so think of something that best portrays how skilled you are. These are serious. Failure to meet the standards laid out by the judges results in expulsion." 

  A wave of uneasiness and excitement audibly swept over the class. 

  "That being said, you have a whole month to prepare. A month, mind you, without classes."

  What?

  "Yeah, no classes," Chisa continued. "I'll always be in the teacher's longue during class hours if you need help with anything, and all resources on campus are available to you. We want to give our students the time and resources they need to prepare, so don't hesitate to ask. This will be our last day of class until the exams."

  A whole month? That's crazy. They have high expectations for us, if they're giving us a month.

  "Any questions?"

  Your classmates didn't say much. They were busy processing everything she said, forced to adapt to this different way of exams. Midterms were purely academic, but this exam was based solely on individual talents. It was a different playing field altogether. 

  "Alright. Just remember you can come to me with any concerns. Let's get started on today's lesson."

  Today's lesson, however, was pushed to the back of your mind as you began brainstorming for the exam.

  Where the heck would I start? I need to make something that astounds. Something unique and creative. Something that lets me keep my title of Ultimate.

  Hours later, you festered over any ideas as to what to present. Your dress form was empty currently, awaiting its next beautiful adornment. 

  Should I pick a certain era? Or maybe do something modern? No, I should do more than one outfit. I should have a showcase. You hastily scribbled down bits and musings. A text from Hajime broke your concentration.

  "Classes finally got out. What are you up to?" 

  "Just in my dorm rn. It's way too hot outside to do anything."

  "Tell me about it. The AC in our dorms isn't the best. It's exhausting."

  "Wanna come over? I'll let you into the academy."

  "Sure, if it's alright with you."

  The tension security held surrounding Reserve students seemed to have relaxed slightly after the poisoning. As long as you were beside him, they let Hajime into the Main Building. He had visited many times over the past several weeks.