Chapter 5

Tuesday afternoon, you walked with Hajime through the city.

  "Look," Hajime said as he pointed to a towering billboard. "Another play is released. It's apparently really iconic, especially in the West."

  You read the massive sign. A Streetcar Named Desire. Opening at the Setagaya Public Theatre.

  "I haven't heard of it before," you commented.

  "My literature teacher talks about it a lot. He's really into plays and such."

  "I see. Maybe we could go see it sometime."

  "Only if you'd want to! I wouldn't want you to get bored over some contemporary play." Hajime was hesitant at the thought.

  "I doubt I would, as long as you like it too. I wouldn't want the reverse to happen either."

  "Alright," Hajime laughed. "I'll look into getting tickets if you're interested."

  "Sure thing! Let me know if you want me to pay. I've got a pretty decent financial standing." Commissions certainly aren't cheap, especially now that I'm an Ultimate.

  "Yeah? I'm sure your work would be pretty expensive to afford." Hajime more or less echoed your thoughts.

  "I guess so." You couldn't humble yourself any farther.

  "Anyways, it might be a bit before we can do something big. The Reserve Course has physical evaluations this week, and it's more time consuming than expected."

  "We've got them too, in the Main Course. Our upperclassmen had theirs Monday and Tuesday, and we go tomorrow."

 "You only take three days? For us, it's taking all week."

  "Well, it is only three classes of about 16 students versus however many are in the Reserve."

  "Yeah, you're right."

  The conversation ended and you continued your walk in silence. The smaller streets you walked on were less populated than the bustling main roads, but unfortunately more eerie. The city you lived in was clean in terms of cities, but still held its creepy nooks and frightful crannies. Walking with a partner was enough reassurance of safety for you.

  Once you made it back to the academy, the sun was just touching the horizon, turning the sky a deep indigo.

  "Look, the stars are already showing up." You looked up at the glimmering pinpricks in the sky.

  "Can hardly see them through the trees," Hajime said. "Let's go somewhere higher."

  "Where?"

  Hajime took your wrist, tugging it lightly. "We'll go to the roof of the dorms. Follow me."

  You let Hajime lead you to the Reserve Course area of the campus, taking the branch off of the fountain, passing through a small courtyard and turning away from the school building and heading to the dorm building instead. 

  Inside the dorms, you passed students lounging in the lobby and moving through the halls. Everybody was in civilian clothes and you didn't stand out. No security was around to stop you, either. At an elevator lobby, Hajime called an elevator and you both entered the first available one, finding it empty.

"Can you just go all the way to the top? We can't even access the roof in the main academy."

  "We can go to the top floor and then take stairs to the roof. It's technically off-limits, but nobody checks."