Chapter 27

Before you knew it, the first semester had ended. Hope's Peak faculty continued to wrap up loose ends regarding the Steering Committee, but Jin wanted you to remain dedicated to your life as a student and told you not to worry about the situation any further. 

  On the second evening of your semester break, Hajime entered your room with a spare key you had given him a few days ago.

  "Are you ready? There's a lot of people out there already." He crossed to your desk where you worked diligently on the final touches of an outfit.

  "Yeah, I'm good to go. I just had to fix a stitch on the robe." You smoothed out the fabric on your desk. "I have your outfit in my closet, if you want to grab it."

  "Great. I'm excited." He directed himself to your wardrobe.

  "How busy is it? I didn't think people would show up until later in the evening." You stood, taking the completed kimono piece and inspecting it.

  "Well, all the stalls are set up and there's a lot of students and other people wandering. I don't think any events have started though."

  "I'm surprised Hope's Peak held an autumn festival after everything that went on." You watched Hajime retrieve the first outfit he had worn for your talent exam, the blue hanfu piece.

  "I ran into Mr. Kirigiri on my way over here. He said it was a pretty welcome break after the hectic press coverage. Besides, a lot of the Ultimates wanted to organize something, so most of them have little stands or events."

  "I guess most of us didn't go home for the semester break." You laid the various cloth components of your outfit on the bed.

  "Yeah. A lot of Reserve kids are still here too." Hajime opened the door to your bathroom, his clothes draped over his arm. "I'll be right back."

  "Okay. Let me know if you need help."

  "Will do."

  While Hajime was changing, you quickly stripped off the loose sweats you had been wearing and wrapped your handmade inner tunic around your body, threading your arms through the wide holes and tightening the cloth band around your waist.

  You had prepared a kimono to match your boyfriend at the autumn festival at Hope's Peak, a two-day event that took place after the first semester. The pathways and courtyards of the academy were lined with lanterns and banners, and stalls of various sizes sprinkled the campus. Reserve and Main Course students mingled in the open space along with faculty members and attendees from outside the high school. It was still early in the evening, but activity was already on the rise.

  You took the lilac kimono off your bed and slipped into it, adjusting the fabric on your shoulders. It was made with the same beauty that Hajime's had, though not as lavish as his.

  "Yeah, I need some help." Hajime opened the bathroom door, barely covered by the loose garments that hung from his frame. He had managed to get the inner tunic on, but was a little wrapped up in the swaths that made up the robe. 

  "Of course!" You left your kimono flaps open as you crossed to him, reaching for his clothes. Masterfully weaving and placing the fabric across his torso, you felt his eyes on you while you worked.

  "I'm scared I'm going to ruin it," Hajime said. "It's a really nice outfit."

  "You won't." You trailed behind him, lacing the cloth band around his waist. "It looks delicate, but I made sure it's very durable too. It can handle a festival or two."

  "If you're sure."

  "I am." Circling to his front again, you secured the small knot at his waist and stepped back. "There you go."