Chapter 20

The following day, Chisa's voice deteriorated into static in your mind as you stayed focused on last night. Hajime hadn't responded to any of your texts after the events, nor any of the ones you sent in the morning. Your notebook was blank, as all of the points Chisa had been explaining passed over you. Her lecture continued as she drifted through the aisles, and a quick glance from her down at your empty notebook was enough of an indication that she was aware you weren't focused. She said nothing, and you couldn't care about her opinion. 

  After class, your teacher wasted no time catching you before you left the classroom. "(Y/n), wait." You stopped, anticipating this would happen.

  "Is everything okay?" she asked after your classmates had completely filed out of the room. 

  "Yes, everything's fine." You weren't sure if you wanted to engage in this with her. Is she aware of what's going on with Hajime? I don't know if she's part of the faculty that's involved.

  "You can tell me if something is going on. I want to make sure my students are okay."

  "I know." She always means well. I trust her. I really do. "Something's just...going on. I don't know what it is."

  "Do you have any information? I'd like to help if I can. If you don't want that, we can just talk."

  You sighed. "I could use some help." The only faculty that's definitely on my side is Ms. Yukizome. "But--and I don't mean to get aggressive--I need to know that you'll definitely support me. I'm running out of people to trust."

  Her demeanor became serious to prove her sincerity. "I will never put anything above you or your classmates. Anything you need to know, I'll tell you." 

  "Okay." It was the best you were going to get. "Do you know of any projects going on at Hope's Peak? Any experiments, or something?" 

 "Hmm, nothing that stands out. We always have scout explorations, of course. We take students on abroad trips for study. There's little things each student does, or promotions from the student council, but no overall experiments or events going on. That I'm aware of, at least."

  "I see."

  "Do you think there's something going on?"

  "I do. My friend, Hajime, he's been asked to take part in some experiment. I don't know the specifics, but he meets with people in the new Main Course building."

  "Gosh, even I don't know what goes on over there. I know the Steering Committee has their offices in that building, and we've transitioned the second and third years over there for classes and living. What actually goes on, though, I don't know."

  "There's no files or information regarding it?"

  "Not in the servers in this building. I don't usually go elsewhere unless I have to. Whatever information they would have would be secured."

  "Okay."

  "If you want, I can keep an eye on Hajime's records. I can't go watch him in person, but I can see if any changes are made to his student profile. They update if a student is out of school, failing, expelled, stuff like that." 

  "That would be great."

  "I can get in contact with other faculty as well-"

  "I don't know if you should. I don't know who's involved."

  "Right. If it's under wraps, there'll probably be consequences if we're caught."

  "Well, I don't want you to get in trouble. You don't have to do this if it's risky."