Chapter 7

The day passed slowly. Mikan found the strength to get up and tend to you and Nagito before going to help her classmates. You were worried about having to spend time alone with Nagito, but he was quiet for the most part. At 1:30, you got a call from Hajime.

"Hajime, hey."

"Hey. We heard the announcement. Our teachers told us that our campus is now in lockdown. We can't leave our school building except to sleep in the dorms."

"That's crazy."

"Yeah. Security is everywhere suddenly. They're looking for any suspicious activity."

"Are you okay? What're you doing now?"

"I'm still in the school building, even though classes ended. Until the culprit is found, we have to stay here until 6, when we can go to the dorms to sleep. It got really rigid."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't worry about it. I'm more worried about you. I know the announcement said it was non-fatal, but...are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just stuck in the infirmary. There's nothing I can do."

"God, that's terrible." Hajime sighed. "I'll be here to keep you company whenever. It can't be that exciting for you right now."

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

"Of course. Are all your classmates in the infirmary?"

"No, only three of us. Mikan is out right now, so it's just Nagito and I."

"Oh, I see."

Yeah, it's a little awkward talking to the guy Nagito doesn't like right next to Nagito.

"Well, look after yourself. I'm upset that I can't be there to do so."

You smiled. "That's sweet. I'll be sure to take care of myself."

"Good. Oh, damn. They're calling for the students. Talk to you later."

"Okay. Goodbye, Hajime."

"Goodbye."

You put your phone on the desk next to your bed. You sat up and leaned against the headboard.

"Is that Hajime?" Nagito asked.

"And if it is? Whatever." You groaned, unwilling to engage in this debate with him.

"Right." Nagito turned on his side, apparently going to sleep again.

Mikan returned, clearly exhausted. "Everyone's okay." She went to Nagito again, checking on him frequently due to his fragility. She felt his forehead, then held his wrist to check for a pulse. "Nagito, y-you should try to go shower. You've been in these clothes since yesterday."

"Yeah, you're right." Nagito lifted himself up with Mikan's help.

"D-do you need help getting to your room?" Mikan offered.

"I'll be alright. Thank you though." Nagito left his bed and hobbled out of the room.

"How about you A-are you doing okay?" Mikan turned her attention to you.

"I'm fine."

"You should try to get cleaned up too."

"Yeah." You nodded, wincing at the persistent headache antagonizing you. "I'll go do that, then."

Back in your dorm, you chose a lighter outfit to change into before starting the shower. You leaned against the shower wall as you let the stream fall on you, its cool temperature helping to ease your intense pyrexia. You finished up, got dressed, and returned to the infirmary. Mikan had changed the sheets for both you and Nagito.