Chapter 23

You hadn't realized an hour passed until you finally lifted yourself off the bed and eyed the clock. I've gotta go. You shakily rose to your feet, your breathing hitched and tight. Patting yourself down with trembling fingers, you ensured you had everything before leaving your room, regaining composure as you hurried to the meeting point.

  Where the paths met in the center of the campus, your classmates idled, waiting on you. Some had changed into outfits fit for stealth or fighting, while others didn't know how serious they should've dressed. Emotions were varied among them, from excitement to fear.

  "Fuckin' finally," Fuyuhiko said. You silently ran a headcount of everyone present, checking to see if Fuyuhiko was being honest.

  "There's only fifteen people here. Who're we missing?"

  "Ryota hasn't shown up." Peko's eyes narrowed. "He said he would help us."

  "Probably just late. We're not waiting on him." Fuyuhiko was absent-mindedly working on his phone. 

  "Let's go, then! Time to kick some ass!" Akane was chomping at the bit to get going and get fighting. 

  "Hold on," Chiaki said. "Who are they?" She pointed away from the new building, focusing on a herd of guards rapidly approaching you.

  "Damn! They're dead set on not letting us in." Fuyuhiko stared at the approaching flock.

  "We'll have to fight them off!" Nekomaru declared. "I need warriors! Come on, guys!"

  Peko withdrew her bamboo sword, contrary to the one she had last night. "I'll stay. Anyone that can get a head start should do so now."  

  "Don't be ridiculous, Peko!" Fuyuhiko shouted. "You too, Nekomaru. There's only so much we can handle."

  "Then what do you propose?!" Sonia cried.

  Fuyuhiko looked to the sky. "They're late, unfortunately. Just wait a bit longer."

  Once again, the yakuza was able to summon a small fleet of helicopters that appeared from beyond the horizon. Uniformed men rained from the helicopters before the vehicles even began descending, billowing parachutes or simply landing in the trees. They must've done it a million times before. This small army withdrew guns and weapons and blocked the group of guards from further pursuit. 

  "I'm staying with them," Fuyuhiko said. "Carry on without me. I've gotta keep bloodshed from happening." He sprinted closer to his men, already calling commands to them. Either side seemed to be gearing up to fight, but you couldn't stay to watch. 

  "Let us go!" Sonia called, motivating her classmates into action. The group took off, catching you up in the stampede. Ahead, the group of guards Nagito had shown you earlier were still standing alert outside the building. 

  "These are our upperclassmen. They're Ultimates," Nagito said. 

  "I'll take 'em on!" Akane flew from a tree branch, landing in front of you and continuing to run. 

  What am I going to do? I can't fight! 

  "Come on!" Chiaki took your arm, pulling you off to the side and behind one of the many trees lining the road. 

  "What are we going to do?" you asked, peering out from your hiding spot.

  "Nagito!" Chiaki called, beckoning for her classmate. He joined you two behind the tree, his eyes constantly scanning the landscape. "What do you know about these Ultimates? You've done research, right?"

  "Of course. I always kept up with Hope's Peak, even before I was admitted."

  "Out with it, then. What can we do?"