Chapter 16

The online photos you'd seen of the room did not do it any justice. When Hajime opened the door for you, you couldn't help but stand and gawk at the beauty of the room. Dim, contemporary lighting softly illuminated the neutral tones of the cozy living room, situated just beyond the small kitchenette and bar. To your right was a wooden sliding door, presumably leading to the bedroom.

  "What're you waiting for? Go on in." Hajime placed a hand on your back.

  You stepped in, immediately wanting to discover what was behind the sliding door. Pulling it open, you did indeed step into the bedroom. To your left was a mounted TV and a door to the bathroom. Across from you, the closet. And to your right were two twin beds, thought their configuration resembled that of a queen bed, with no space between them and only a crack down the middle indicating any sense of separation. On either side of this impostor queen bed were bedside tables with matching soft-lit lamps. 

  "Look at the bathroom," Hajime called from the other room. "It's gorgeous."

  Opening the bathroom door, you noticed a small change in style, as the contemporary wood decor was exchanged for dark stone and silver accents. Two sinks on one side, a glass standing shower on the other, and a lone bathtub situated next to the glass window that made up the back wall. You stood in front of the tub, overlooking the enticing view of the blue ocean. 

  "It's one-way." Hajime appeared in the doorframe. "Nobody can see in, so you don't need to worry about lack of privacy." 

  "It's pretty." You looked back at the view before returning to him. "This whole suite is pretty."

  "It is. It's very nice here." 

  Hajime had an early dinner ordered and sent to the room while you picked out a few movies to watch. You gathered up a couple blankets from the bedroom and brought them to the couch. 

  "Thank you." Hajime took the box from the attendant and shut the door. He turned back to you. "I got two bento boxes. Rice, beef, vegetables, stuff like that. We can order more snacks or dessert later if you want." He put the boxes on the coffee table, then joined you on the couch. "What did you pick?"

  "I found Suspect X, Devil's Path, and Memoirs of a Murderer. Then, I have Audition and Noroi: The Curse for when it gets darker. I hope you're okay with horror movies."

  "Absolutely! These look great." 

  Your movie night began; a mystery movie played while you sat curled up on the couch and Hajime sat carefully next to you. It was tense, uncomfortable. You were next to each other, platonically and safely, but it was far from what you wanted. The room wasn't silent, but the tension you felt seemed to drown out the television audio.

  "Are you alright?" Hajime asked.

  You blinked, wondering how he discerned something was off. "Yeah, I'm okay." 

  "You should eat something. Here." He opened your box, taking out the chopsticks and carefully separating them. 

  "Thank you." You leaned forward and took the contents. 

  "Tell me what's wrong. Something is clearly wrong." Hajime spoke softly. 

  "No, everything's fine." You smiled, picking up a piece of bell pepper absentmindedly. 

  "You better tell me if you want something." 

  "...I will."

  One movie finished. Hajime paused the movie mid-credits, then turned to you. "Ready for the next one?"