Chapter 25

The nurse had given you a chair once she realized you weren't going to be leaving his bedside anytime soon. The Main Course infirmary now held its first Reserve Course patient, a notion that now seemed like an insult.  

  You were the only conscious person in the room. Some of your classmates were bedridden as well, but they were still silently resting. Hajime was peacefully asleep against the pile of pillows, somehow looking even more content than he did in the glass pod. You hadn't left his side for hours and had rarely taken your gaze off him. He stirred occasionally, but you didn't force him awake. He probably needed the rest.

  "How's he doing?" Chisa opened the door to the infirmary.

  "He's fine. Just recovering." You gave the hopeful news. 

  "You should get some sleep. It's almost 1 AM." 

  "Is it?" You looked at the clock against the back wall. "I guess so. I'll be okay, though. I don't want to leave until I can talk to him again."

  "There won't be class again tomorrow, after all this. Mr. Kirigiri is launching an investigation into the Steering Committee. While that happens, we're tightening security for the kiddos and re-evaluating the Reserve Course."

  "Re-evaluating? What's happening to it?" 

  "Kirigiri said the Steering Committee only set it up for funding, no other purpose. They spent every penny on the Kamakura Project."

  "Kamakura..." You hadn't heard the official name of the scheme before. 

  "We'll have to see if it's worth it to keep it up. Jin will implement his own ideals again, and if they don't align..."

  "You'll liquify the Reserve Course?"

  "Maybe." Chisa sighed. "I don't know what that spells for everyone, but it's a possibility."

  "I see." 

  "I'll leave you alone. Do try to get to sleep tonight."

  "Okay. Have a good night, Ms. Yukizome."

  She left, shutting the door and returning the silence. You took Hajime's hand, holding it tenderly as you watched him. 

  Either seconds or minutes or hours passed, you weren't sure. Your daze was only broken by your friend rousing, slowly opening his eyelids and blinking. 

  "Hajime," you said softly. 

  "(Y/n)." Conscious and comfortable, he turned his head to you. The hand you held squeezed yours gently. 

  "Are you doing okay?" 

  "Yes." He smiled. "I'm fine."

  "That's good."

  Telepathic emotions flooded the room as you took in the presence of each other, having finally reconvened in a secure and intimate environment. He was rescued, and safe, and back in your reach. 

  "Uh, Hajime?" You considered waiting longer to bring it up, but your heart wasn't patient enough.

  "Yes?" He adjusted his position.

  "You, um...you said you liked me." The mere thought caused a rush of adrenaline, one you attributed to fear previously. 

  "I did." His smile grew, his eyes full of tenderness and joy. "And I mean it. I like you, (y/n)."

  "I..." You felt tears welling up again and attempted to restrain the increasingly common occurrence. "I like you too, Hajime. I really do." 

  His hand held yours tighter, apparently struggling to fight back tears as well. "I'm so happy I can see you again." His arms reached around your back and pulled you in, burying you in his chest. His grip was tight but full of passion as he held you warmly. You wrapped yours around his neck, returning the embrace. "I'm so happy," he repeated.