Chapter 9

"Nagito?" Chisa spoke for the first time since you entered Jin's office.

  "Seriously? You're going to throw your classmate under the bus just to save some Reserve kid?" Juzo snarled.

  "I have reason to believe so." You breathed as you connected the dots in your head. "For one, he'd obviously have access to the nurse's room. I don't know where he would've gotten his poison, but it'd be easy to poison the depressors and then leave the poison in one of the milk cartons." A memory of the other night flashed in your head. "In fact, I recall seeing him head to the Reserve Building a few nights ago. He must have done so then, after hours."

  "There's no logic in your claim. Why would he do this? Just like you said earlier, why would he purposefully poison himself?"

  He's Nagito. He'd do all sorts of weird things. "He must've seen it as a necessary evil for his bigger goal."

  "And that is?"

  "To convict Hajime."

  "That's ridiculous." Juzo laughed. "You just disproved yourself. He couldn't have convicted Hajime if he randomly put the poison in one of the cartons. There's no way he would've known that it would end up in Hajime's dorm."

  "Unfortunately, there is. He relied on his luck."

  "His luck?! That's insane!"

  "He is the Ultimate Lucky Student. Besides, this isn't the first time. He trusts in his luck as if it was a deity."

  "That evidence is weaker than the evidence against Hajime."

  "Chisa, do you remember when I told you that he was acting strange? When I said he was specifically after Hajime?" You turned to your teacher for help.

  "Yes. What about it?" Chisa wasn't sure whose side to take.

  "This is it. I wouldn't put it past him to do something like this."

  "This isn't enough to incriminate him," Juzo said.

  "Look, all I'm saying is that there is a motive and there is no evidence proving he didn't do it. I'd at least ask him about it. Only Nagito would be willing to hurt himself to achieve a goal, only Nagito would scheme something like this to get rid of Hajime, and only Nagito can rely on his luck as blindly as he did. There's simply nobody else."

  "Except Hinata." Juzo crossed his arms.

  "I don't want to blindly accuse an Ultimate to cover myself, but I do trust my friend. If (y/n) believes it could be him, then so do I." Hajime joined your side.

  "We should at least ask him." You pleaded for an interrogation.

  "Jin? It's up to you." Juzo retreated.

  "Your evidence is lacking, but I can see where his motive would come from. It does align with his personality." Jin sighed. "I must remain impartial, so I won't deny bringing Komaeda to ask questions. We have to cover all bases."

  "Fine. I'll go get him." Juzo left the room, anxious to get the ordeal over with.

  Geez, this is intense... You closed your eyes and rubbed your temples.

  "Do you really think Nagito did this?" Hajime whispered to you.

  "At first it was a bit of a blunder, but I'm starting to believe it. It really makes a lot of sense. Besides, he's the only sensible option."

  "Well, except for me."

  "I trust you with my heart, Hajime. It isn't you."

  "...Thank you."