Kabanata 27

As the usual, date with my darling Monty was the best and the most perfect date ever

As the usual, date with my darling Monty was the best and the most perfect date ever. Really, nothing beat the triple combo of a delicious steak, a good conversation with your favorite person on earth, and a nice Cabernet Sauvignon—an expensive red wine on the side.

“Enough with my love life, how about yours? Not planning on getting yourself a wife again?” I asked.

Kung tama ang pagkakatanda ko at base na rin sa mga kuwento niya sa akin ay biyudo na siya ng mga dalawampung taon na. And since that day his wife died, he never looked at a woman again, not a single time he dated someone. He said he was so busy running a business and chasing for his daughter—my brother’s mother—he got no time to find himself a potential love life again.

Speaking of his daughter, Papa and Mama were both so heartbroken when they found out about my brother using the Ty surname—which was his real mother’s surname—and not the Figuerroa, anymore. But eventually, they learned to accept about it and the fact that my brother had his real family waiting for him.

Monty also told me everything about my brother’s real parents and their story which was so complicated I thought I was watching a movie or a television drama.

Theirs was a classic boy-meets-girl kind of love story where the girl’s family hated the boy’s family to the bones and vice versa. An old-age vendetta between two powerful families and falling in love with the enemy was such a stupid thing to do.

Noong ikinukuwento sa akin ni Monty ang tungkol doon noon ay natatawa na lang ako. I really couldn’t believe it at first because it was just too complicated to be true. Pero wala nga pala talagang imposible sa pag-ibig at totoong-totoo ‘yong sinasabi nila na kapag daw pumasok ito sa puso ng ninuman ay hahamakin ang lahat masunod lamang.

His mother was a young-sick fool who fell in love with his father despite the rivalry going on between their families. One day, his father got her mother pregnant to him, then they decided to elope and live happily ever after, pero hindi sumipot ‘yong lalaki at nabalitaan na lang daw na ipinakasal na sa iba. That was when his mother met Papa and Mama in an isolated province where she hid and where my brother was born.

Monty found out about his daughter and what happened to her. He was blaming himself of her death and he promised to find his long-lost grandson whatever happened, babawi sa lahat ng nangyari at nangakong aayusin ang mga gusot. And finally, several years ago, that time when my brother was in New York, Monty found him at last.

And the rest, as they woud say, was history.

What a complicated love story his parents had. And maybe it ran in their family. Because just like his parent’s love story, ours also ended up a tragedy.