Chapter 21-King Kong

He was just a fraction of a second from exploding.  Into a roar.  A murderous rampage aiming to destroy everything in his office. 

He was silently standing by the window, evidently trying to make sense of what happened.  However, the thundering rage left his mind blank of all else except how could he have let her go? 

You had no claim on her, his conscience argued.  She's married.  You fell in love with a married woman.

Letting her go so easily was a big mistake.  Something kept nagging inside him.  He should have dug deeper when he had the chance.

The weight of the world was upon his shoulders.

He sat down heavily in the armchair, rested his elbows on his knees, and lowered his face into both his hands.  He rubbed his temples in defeat.

She's gone. 

The memory of her bright, curious eyes, clouded with confusion and pain before she leaves haunts him.  After she left, the scent of her clung to the penthouse.  He could have sworn he could smell the scent of her perfume in his office too. 

He remembers gazing at Hope for hours as she slept in his arms at the Bed and Breakfast.  It was one of the best night's sleep he's had in a very long time. Her eyes fluttering while she slept, her long hair fanned out on the pillow, her flawless face soft and luminous.  He recalled her lips were parted and her tongue darting out to moisten her dry lips. . .

It had been the most arousing sight he'd ever encountered and what was so unique about it was she was innocently sleeping.  It wasn't a premeditated act.  It was simply natural.  True.  Honest.

Envisioning her laying beside her husband, her body in someone else's hands. . .her head on his chest. . . Her lips on his. . .

His jealousy is raw and angry, filling him to the brink of madness.

"Fück!" He yells. 

Zayn launched to his feet, whirled around and hurled the desk chair he sat on just seconds ago against the window.  The glass panels shattered.  He turned around and punched the vertical mirror against the wall, instantly bloodying his knuckles.

The paperwork he and Hope worked on so carefully over the past few days went scattering as he reached for the computer, lifted it, and slammed it against the desk in his rage. 

There was a long silence filled with Zayn's ragged panting. 

He did not pause until his fury was spent, and all that was left in his office was destroyed. 

Zayn leaned against the wall in utter silence, shoulders slumped, his face etched in exhaustion and grief. 

For the first time in his life, Zayn was left feeling like a loser. 

He always believed he was happy.  He had a family, friends he spent his days with and people he cared very much about.  He got to go places and do things almost no one got to do.  He believed his life was great.

Marriage was never a consideration.  He liked having bed partners, not long-term girlfriends or a wife.  He didn't intend to settle down, now or ever.  He believed it just wasn't in his make-up.  He never talked about it because he never thought about it.  He never had aspirations about it.

Zayn never wanted to have children either.

Then Hope came along into his world and changed his entire life–his thinking. He wanted, no need, that life with her.  No one else.

He never realized how unfulfilled it was until Hope entered his life and everything changed. He met someone who he would absolutely trade his life for.  He met someone that meant more to him than his own life.  He had never had that experience before.